I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Visual Wrap, worth it?
Posted by: keith david (172.56.5.---)
Date: December 10, 2013 04:22PM

Hello All,
I am sure this question has come up before. Is the Visual Wrap software and book worth it? Are their a lot of patterns? is it old school patterns? Any feed back would be great, pro's cons. I feel as if I'm doing great with simple diamond wraps, but wanting to learn more. Thank in advance for all your help.
Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Visual Wrap, worth it?
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 05:00PM

Yes. Worth every penny. Take your time and learn how to use it then let your imagination run wild.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: December 10, 2013 05:17PM

Posted by: Chuck Blocker (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 07:04PM

It is awsome!!!!!!

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: December 10, 2013 07:32PM

G'Day Keith If you get it & learn to use it you will not be disappointed even if you only use it to work out colour combinations for trim wraps .It is a great learning tool

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: curtis drumm (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 08:10PM

It is worth a whole lot more than they charge for it!

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.gci.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 08:35PM

Is wonderful.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Frank Willis (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 10:43PM

Will it run on a Mac?

Frank Willis
Owensboro, Ky.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 11, 2013 08:42AM

I have the software. Will getting teh book help me understand teh software? (the teh was accidental but fitting in this case)

Posted by: keith david (---.64.215.18.nw.nuvox.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 10:20AM

WOW, thank you so much guys. That makes it an easier decision for me. Happy Holidays to all.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: December 11, 2013 10:48AM

Visual wrap can be really helpful for both beginners and pros.

For the novice crosswrappers, once the software interface is mastered you can sit with any of the books of patterns and work through them step by step very quickly and watch the animations of how the threads get laid and see the patterns develop. Doing this will greatly speed the learning curve compared to sitting with a book of patterns and trying learn crosswraps by working with thread on a blank. Working with thread on a blank certainly builds actual physical skills, but the learning curve can be quite slow. Using the software you will very quickly learn how triangles of thread are formed, and you will quickly learn how +/- 1 in patterns will create the appearance of curves.

For advanced users, the possibilities are limited only by your creativity. You can see how scaling the number of threads in a pattern up or down will adjust a pattern to fit a blank. You can experiment with colors in your patterns and your background. You can experiment with number, color, and sequencing of threads when shading. You can modify existing patterns to see how wrapping in bands might look compared to wrapping single threads (for example in a +1 where you might wrap 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, you might find it acceptable to wrap 2, 2, 4, 4, 6 and save a little thread time). Like part of one pattern and part of another? Combine the parts you like from both in a new pattern. Wonder what a +2 might look like when the patterns calls for a +1? How about working with two patterns at the same time or creating new patterns from scratch. Your customer wants you to do a particular pattern but they can't imagine what it would look like in their colors? Load up the pattern and change the colors to use their colors - hey now it's a sales tool. You can do all this and more without ever laying a thread down on a blank.

I wrapped for 35 years without it, but despite the fact I just recently got started with it, I can't imagine any single aspect of modern rodbuilding (except for information sharing via the internet, print, and face to face gatherings of rodbuilders) that I more wish was available to me back in the day when I was struggling to learn how to do all this stuff in isolation with just a couple books at my disposal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 12:51PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: December 17, 2013 12:30AM

Thank you to all the positive comments made above.

"teh book" has a good tutorial that will certainly help. There is also a script tutorial on the following web page (look for the link in the centre of the page about half way down). In this tutorial I show how to set up a script for Pattern no. 10 from Clemens Custom Rod Thread Art:
[threadcentral.net]

It is possible to run it on a Mac using the WinOnX emulator. If you want to attempt that please email me first and I will send you some advice.

Please be aware that some tweaks are required to get vizwrap to run on some Win7 & Win8 systems. The tweaks are described on the VisualWRAP forum, but I can also assist remotely
[visualweave.com]

Regards
Dave Boyle
www.threadcentral.net

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster