I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
do 8 1/2ft 3wt 2pc rod blanks exist?
Posted by: jimi radesi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2013 07:04PM

if so, where can i get one? 2nd preference is an 8ft 4wt 2pc. I've been unable to find either blank. thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: do 8 1/2ft 3wt 2pc rod blanks exist?
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: December 09, 2013 07:18PM

Batson makes an 8' 4wt 2pc not sure about your first request. seems like there should be but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

Posted by: Chip Clark (---.mi-connection.com)
Date: December 09, 2013 07:41PM

CTS makes them. Contact Herb Ladenheim (on sponsors' list at left).

Date: December 09, 2013 08:58PM

thanks fellas!

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 09, 2013 09:51PM

If you are ok with a 9', we've got one left on clearance from a private label run we did - [hydrafishing.com] - $60, Made in USA.

Got some really nice cork on sale and reel seats to match it as well - [hydrafishing.com]

I can also see if we can run one for you, but it will take a couple weeks to be produced. We're working on fly blanks now, so it will be a little bit.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 09, 2013 10:24PM

St. Croix and Winston both have an 8 1/2' 3 wt 4pc, can't for the life of me, understand why one would want a 2pc when 4pc are available!

Date: December 10, 2013 07:30AM

Reason being, it will only travel in a truck and in hand (no need for saving space). I can't for the life of me understand why 4 pieces are the trend when adding sections lessens the power of the rod. A two piece is what I'm looking for and can't for the life of me understand why someone would post where I can find a four piece in that length and weight.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 07:45AM

Thanks Chip,
Yes CTS has - or will build - what you want.
Herb

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.jsbrcmta02.jnboar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 09:32AM

Part of the problem is that more and more customers are asking for 4 piece blanks, so manufacturers are going with the trend.
We do have in stock the Batson IF793 which is 7' 9" 3 wt, 2 pc.
Also, some of the IF804 and F804 2 pc in 4 wt.
Feel welcome to give us a call.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 10:54AM

Ferrule designs these days really make multiple pieces perform well. A 4-piece rod won't detract from the rod's action as in older designs. You might be pleasantly surprised at this. If you find the length you want in a 4-piece, don't hesitate in buying it.

Terry

Date: December 10, 2013 11:31AM

With the modern ferrule technology, 4pc rods preform as well as 1 & 2 pc in every way, and of course much better in transport and storage! I guess one will have to decide what's more important....length and weight or number of pieces.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 11:33AM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 11:59AM

I'm lazy I like 2 PC

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: December 10, 2013 12:59PM

I actually find it easier to wrap a 2 pc than a 4pc.
the Batson if793 that Ron mentions is a great blank for a 3 wt. light in hand and a delicate cast but still can punch out more line when needed. one of my favorites.

Date: December 10, 2013 06:09PM

Not sure why I'm feeling the need to defend WHY I'm looking for this blank over readily available 4pc's, but...

The only benefit I see to having the option of breaking a rod down to multiple pieces is for ease of transportation. It's great to have four or more pieces while flying, hiking, driving a Prius, etc. For my 'customer' on this build, transportation of the rod is not a concern; function is. I find it hard to believe that with modern technology or any other varition of a sales pitch, that a 4pc will function the same as a two piece. The 1 connection on a two piece has an opportunity to seperate after casting repeatedly. Basic math tells me that opportunity increases with each additional connection. Finishing wraps at the base of each connection require thread and glue, that changes the completed rod by adding weight and structural differences that are minimized on a 2pc. Another concern is that 4pc rods are readily available and he wants something specific, something custom; hence the requirements of this request. My 'customer' is also lazy like Bill : ) and would rather connect (not to mention line up) with one half twist, not several. In this case, all factors (length, weight, & number of pieces) are EQUALLY important, there is no choice or trade-off to be made. I'm sensing that some custom rod builders are telling their customers, 'you want what?!, no, instead you I'll create something different because I know better what you want and should have than you do.' That would be my LAST order from that 'custom' rod builder. Looks like the end result here is that I can attempt to order a one of a kind rod blank from NZ if they are willing to make it and if this customer wants to pay that kind if loot.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 10, 2013 08:25PM

Jimi,
I did find an 8' 2-piece 3 weight from T & T
I too am disappointed at the meager supply of quality 2-piece rod blanks.
Far too few.
We are in the minority anymore. Why should someone sell lower priced 2-piece when they can make bigger profits by selling a 4-piece.
All the US manufactures seem to be taking the higher profit stand.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 06:56AM

check with Angler's Workshop. they offer something close in their chalkstream and 2 piece IM6 blanks.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2013 08:18AM

At first I thought that maybe Jimi just didn't see the two piece rod he was looking for. But then I too looked for such a blank just out of curiosity. I totally agree with Jimi in that if that is what our customers what we should be able to get that. Why isit that we have to go halfway around the world to get a blank? With the hundreds of blanks available from all the major makers you would think this would be easy.

Date: December 11, 2013 04:13PM

I would suggest
batson I like the green - They are and have more power in the butt and are more durabule IMHO
A nicer blank at a good price

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 11, 2013 04:14PM

I would suggest
IM 7 batson I like the green - They are and have more power in the butt and are more durabule IMHO
A nicer blank at a good price

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 11, 2013 06:39PM

It is as simple marketing 101...."Supply and Demand!" When there is no demand.................there is no supply!!!! Today most buyers want the convenience of short tubes for travel and storage, rather than hassling with longer pieces. If there was enough demand, there would be plenty to choose from! Keeping an inventory that far too few want, is a poor and costly business practice, a prescription for going out of business!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster