I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

protect rod lettering
Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.29.249.200.res-cmts.sha.ptd.net)
Date: December 09, 2013 04:59PM

Hello,

I just finished wrapping and coating my latest rod, a Christmas gift for my son. I painstakingly put a very nice script on the rod only to have my spar varnish run the paint. I was using Testors silver model paint.

I want to stay with the spar varnish. What paint is compatible, I dont want it to run again.

Thanks

Jess

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: protect rod lettering
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 09, 2013 05:26PM

Did you coat the thing before you put the clear on

I am thinking the Testors was Enamal which takes a long time to dry several weeks

I usually spray my lettering with two dust coats of a lacquer clear Drys faster A spray is better cause a brush on may smeer the letters Then clear I use DupliColor Auto Perfict match

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: December 09, 2013 06:33PM

Hi Jesse,
I mask off the decorative wrap on each side of the inscription. I then spray some Krylon Art fixative over the inscription. Do this lightly. Let it dry and repeat with the fixative. Let that dry thoroughly over night. Then apply varnish, epoxy, or Perma Gloss finish and you will be fine.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2013 08:41PM

In the past, to protect the lettering, I found that my wife's laquer based hair spray worked great. I just gave a couple of quick light bursts and there was no problem using finish over it. I am not sure if there is still a laquer hair spray on the market, but it works great. There weren't any sites like this when I was trying to do what you are trying to do, so I had to do a lot of experimentation to get my rods right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2013 08:43PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Date: December 10, 2013 06:09AM

Thanks for the info.

Last night I bought a metallic silver pen, I coated a scrap rod blank for a test. I will try the spar varnish over that and see what happens.

I have been using caligraphy pens with the silver paint, now I have scratches to worry about. (several tries to get script nice) Im thinking maybe I will have to use a coat of varnish first, then the ink work, then varnish over that-if its compatible.

Jess

Date: December 10, 2013 09:12AM

Yep
Hair spray works well also Used it many times Think it is a sort of lacquer

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 10, 2013 09:35AM

So, do you think that hairspray will be ok over the metallic ink? After hair spray, can I coat it with spar varnish, or should I leave it alone?

I have been very pleased with the smooth, glossy look of the spar varnish... sure would like to put that over the lettering.

Thanks

Jess

Date: December 10, 2013 09:44AM

Should work fine I have used it over lerering and then thread finish

To be sure try it on a piece of scrap It is always good to do a practice run

let the spray dry 1 - 2 hours

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2013 09:45AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jesse Shipe (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2013 11:13PM

Ok, here is the latest on this problem...

I need to get hair spray to try this. I have samples of painted rods ready for the process.

I have tried to use a spray sealer, its made for sealing paints and fabrics (acrylic base). That failed...

So, I will be getting hairspray and try this method.

If this fails, can I just epoxy the lettering with rod finish and then put spar varnish over the top of the epoxy??

Thanks so much for your replies.
Jess

Date: December 14, 2013 10:17AM

If you are brushing the spar onto and over the lettering that may be the cause
Bamboo makers mix the spar and thin it to a watery state
Then Dribble it over the rod This way no brushing This may work better for you

The hair spray should work well I run a hair dryer over any lettering to set it Two dust coats Let dry Then the spar

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 22, 2013 07:50PM

Still trying things... I have just tried a silver ink for use with a nib style pen (dip pen). It layed out ok on the blank, I left it dry, then coated it with spar varnish. Shocking. NO RUNS. This was a test piece. So... now I need to prove it on a blank.

Jesse Shipe

Hey all, Merry Christmas to all, thank you for your replies.

Posted by: Frank MacDonald (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: December 23, 2013 10:51AM

Jesse

My wife paints water colors and she gave me a product that she has to spray over her paintings it works great to spray over lettering. The brand name is Krylon Matte Finish she buys it in a craft store that sells painting items. On the label it reads that it eliminates glossy sheen and will not yellow. When you apply your epoxy it comes right back to a shine in the ink. I am not sure if the brand name is the same in the USA but I am sure they will have an equivalent product that will do the same job any where that art supplies are sold.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster