I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shop set up
Posted by: Jason radziunas (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2013 02:16PM

Hello all this is my frist post. I have been lurking for a few years now. I have learned a lot from this forum. My question is should I incorporate a wood lathe into my newly constructed rod building room in my basement or put the lathe where my other wood working tools are. There is no heat where my wood shop is now. I could easily put a dust collection system in my heated rod building room. Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shop set up
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2013 02:27PM

Best advice I could give would be to keep your lathe separate from where you are going to wrap and finish even if you have a great dust collection system.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 06, 2013 02:32PM

Randolph Ruwe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Best advice I could give would be to keep your
> lathe separate from where you are going to wrap
> and finish even if you have a great dust
> collection system.

I agree. My lathe is in the garage. It was just above freezing in the garage last night when I went out to trim a cork grip and final sand it. I have a 500W halogen lamp above the lathe and it feels like I'm standing under the sun. I was out there for 20 minutes with slippers and a fleece jacket on.

Hint - don't wear a black fleece jacket when sanding cork.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2013 03:33PM

X1000 -
On evey ones comments about keeping the lathe is a room or building different than your rod wrapping area.

As much as anything else, you can use your lathe for a lot more things than just making fishing rods.

So, the wood lathe in the area where all of your other wood working tools are located would certainly be the best place.

I was just out in my garage this morning, helping a neighbor with a problem with open garage doors. Although it was -10 degrees F - it really wasn't bad working, since the sun was shining so bright and the light was reflecting off of all of the fresh snow.

You might say - a Canadian High blue bird sky.

But, at the end of the day - keep sanding and turning in a different space, or building from your clean room where you glue, wrap and finish.

Be safe

Date: December 06, 2013 03:57PM

P.S.
Wood and metal working and mechanics tools in the garage to keep dust and grit out of the rod wrapping area.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If needed, in cold months, there is a heater in the garage to keep things nice and cozy.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2013 03:57PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 06, 2013 04:00PM

Hello Jason

Not in the same room; (Did that with very poor results, and yes I was using some very good dust & air filtration systems still no joy).

Trust me no sanding, lathe or any kind of particle spreading activity in the rod room.

Tight & Dust Free Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 06, 2013 04:05PM

Hello Roger.

Are you OCD? (Too Clean & Neat for Me).

Tight & Squeaky Clean Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jason radziunas (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2013 04:36PM

Thank you guys

Date: December 06, 2013 05:31PM

Robert,
I make a point to always sweep the floor and vacuum the floor and use the blow gun to blow all of the dust out of the garage, or police up the rod wrapping room before I start each day.

Also, I make sure that everything is cleaned off of the benches and everything is put away.

By doing this, it is so simple and efficient to do my daily work.

By always starting the day with a clean bench and a clean floor, and all of the dust blown out of the rafters and off the shelves, work progresses nicely.

If something drops on the floor - and it always does - it is so simple to find it again, when there is nothing else on the floor including any dust, dirt or other junk.

It is a practice that I have always done over the years, and for me it works very well. Certainly there are many things in boxes, on shelves and in storage - but by always keeping things picked up and put away, it is trivial to find anything because everything is where it is supposed to be.

I worked in the Computer industry during my working years. In this industry, we did lots of work in engineering labs, as well as doing work in and with the factory building our computers.
The efficient engineering lab and efficient factory floor - always practiced this same policy. i.e. the last 30 minutes of every shift was dedicated to clean up. No one was allowed to leave, if their work station was not completely clean, all tools put away and all parts in the correct bins.

The simple reason was, that each work station was used by three shifts. Each person had their own set of tools. So, it was to your personal advanantage to always put away and lock your tool box, so that all of YOUR tools stayed in your tool box.
Also, the simple consideration of the folks who worked the next shift not having to greet a messy work station. The same was true for the 3nd and 3rd shift person who used the same work startion.

So, I believe in being courteous to my self, by always picking up at the end of the day, putting away all of the tools, and parts. I like to leave everything spotless, so that if I don't get back the next day - the work space is still tidy and ready for a different job if the needs dictate.

The same is true in the rod wrapping room. Even though I might be in the middle of a rod build - there are times when priorities dictate that I need to inturrupt the process and finish up a different rod, or do a quick repair for a good client.

So, again, by making sure that all tools and parts and thread are always returned to their correct location at the end of the day, it is easy to pick up on the same job the next day, or actually inturrupt this job and do a different job the next day.

It works for me. It may not work for others, but it certainly works.

My wife and I both tend to work the same way. She gets rather upset, if someone starts a 2nd job in her kitchen without cleaning up the mess from the first job in the kitchen.
One of her pet peeves, is that if you don't clean up from the first job, you may easily get cross contamination of one food into the 2nd food.
Of course, since I like to live without a big hassle, it is certainly much easier to work in a similar fashion.

If you look into a commercial garage, you will always find a spotless floor and all tools and parts stowed correctly when the shift starts at 7 am each morning. Again, the garage does it for the same reason as the factory and engineering lab folks did in my industry.
It works, is efficient, and saves time and money.

Be safe

Posted by: Chad Huderle (67.50.130.---)
Date: December 06, 2013 05:41PM

Chuck Mills Wrote:

>
> I agree. My lathe is in the garage. It was just above freezing in the garage last night when I went out to trim a cork grip and final sand it. I have a 500W halogen lamp above the lathe and it feels like I'm standing under the sun. I was out there for 20 minutes with slippers and a fleece jacket on.
>
> Hint - don't wear a black fleece jacket when sanding cork.
>

Chuck, sounds like you're describing my garage! LOL I've got the exact same setup except a couple years ago I suspended a 220V heater/fan from my garage ceiling right over my work area. I turn it on for 15 minutes before I go out there in the winter months just to make it somewhat tolerable. I also added padded flooring so my shoes weren't in direct contact with the freezing floor surface.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2013 06:10PM

You all make building rods in California almost seem worth it! Please no comments regarding the politics!! LOL

Date: December 06, 2013 06:23PM

Chad,
By the way, I have been doing some experiments with dust collection.
Much to my surprise, I have found that the floor attachment, with the very thin opening in the nozzle, gives me the very best dust pickup when sanding.

I am sure that the theory behind the fact is that by using the floor attachment with the normal water pickup and thin gap, the air velocity is greatly increase.

When sanding cork, there are no chunks of anything being sucked up by the vacuum, So, the thin slot works very well.

You might try this attachment, or if you don't have such an attachment - pick one up.

[www.homedepot.com]

The wet pickup as shown above, has a slot in the attachment that is less than 1/2 inch wide. As a result, the air velocity across the entire attachment is very high and does a great job of dust pickup.

I simply cut a hole in a 2x6 that was sized to fit the attachment, slipped it in, and then cut the length of the 2x7 - so that when a mounting 2x6 was screwed to the bottom of the vertical board, the vacuum attachment was located about 1 inch below the handle being turned.

By having the attachment slightly below and slightly behind the handle, all of the sanding dust goes down due to lathe rotation. So, as this falling dust falls, it is quickly sucked into the high velocity thin slot of the vacuum attachment.

Another nice thing about this attachment, is that the attachment is wide enough to cover a great deal of - if not all of the handle being shaped and turned. So, the dust pickup does not have to be adjusted much - if any when sanding.

Be safe

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: December 06, 2013 08:28PM

you can talk about cleaning up after BUT , out of the work shop , wraping room, it don't have to be as clean as the wrap room , in the spring time you can take a water hose to it a lot easer for me
my 2 cts SID

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2013 08:42PM

I never had any problem with my "dirty" work in the same room as my rod work. You just don't do both at the same time. Only airborne dust is a problem. Keep it reasonably clean and don't worry too much about space limitations. You can do it all in a smaller space than you'd think.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2013 08:05AM

When finishing I take newspaper spread it under the rod Spray it well with a spray bottle of water ( not the rod ) spray the area well around the rod Helps to keep any dust down
You can always spray again after an hour or two to keep it wet Just be careful of the rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 07, 2013 08:43AM

I have no problems with dust floating around form sanding EVA, cork, or wood. I don't have an air filtration system, just just vacuum as I sand. In addition to a wood lathe, I use a Clemens/Renzetti lathe which is designed for sanding grips, which I do on every single rod I build. The sanding area can't be any closer to where I wrap guides, and there is NEVER an issue.
[www.youtube.com]

Saws and sanders are a different story. THey throw dust all over the place and need to be kept seperate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2013 08:45AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Jason radziunas (---.sub-70-215-4.myvzw.com)
Date: December 07, 2013 11:38AM

Thanks again I have plenty of room so I will keep the lathe in my wood working area. If I get cold I have a bullet heater and a nice winter hat

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster