I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

merrick
Posted by: chris stevenson (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 04, 2013 06:42PM

I have been away from the board for a bit and a quick search didn't turn up the answer I'm looking for...who , other than mudhole, is going to take up the slack for a lot of the products that merrick stocked.I for example use aftcote epoxy, I don't see mudhole carrying it in their new product line.I also liked the selection of basic fishing items from nets and knives to line and hooks , does anybody have recommended supplier for wholesale purchase for these items also? Thanks for any info and sorry if these questions have been answered earlier

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: merrick
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: December 04, 2013 07:10PM

You're just going to have to look down the list of sponsors and see who else might carry similar products. Janns and Anglers Workshop are two I'd take a look at.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 05, 2013 08:47AM

Terrible loss for my business when Merrick closed it's doors. You are right, many items they stocked that others do not. Having both Merrick and MudHole covered all my bases.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: December 05, 2013 08:56AM

Versitex. Call and ask for Fred. If you don't have an account there, I can get it for you.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2013 09:48AM

Chris,
we are carrying the aftcote and possibly other items that Merrick carried also.

[www.mudhole.com]

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 05, 2013 10:25AM

Hi Chris,

You might need to look a little harder, Mud Hole offers all the Aftco products now - on our web site and in our new 2014 catalog (available Jan 1, 2014) . We have the Aftcote finish available online at [www.mudhole.com]

Mud Hole has been adding and will continue to be adding more miscellaneous Merrick items. Is Mud Hole going to be adding 100% of what Merrick sold - no. But we will be adding a lot of items Merrick carried in the tackle crafting areas and some common fishing tackle items - i.e. Okuma reels, Lamiglass finished rods, Rod Dancer, Fish Hawk, more hooks from Mustad, Gamakatsu and some terminal tackle have already been added. Most of the non-tackle crafting items Merrick offered (nets, knifes, hooks, lines, waders, etc) are already offered by much larger tackle only distributors around the USA which should be common knowledge to those in the fishing tackle industry. Obviously, the ability to "one stop shop" at Merrick for all these items will be reduced for past Merrick customers, however Mud Hole will make up for this in our wider selection of tackle crafting items, depth of inventory, high fulfillment rates, reduced shipping on wholesale and online ordering ability. Likewise, former Merrick customers who move onto larger national tackle only distributors for their tackle only needs should benefit from their larger selections as well.

To date the feedback we have received from the vast majority of former Merrick customers has been nothing less than outstanding! These customers (and vendors) a very pleased with Mud Hole’s ability to fulfill orders, wholesale policy, reduced shipping rates and selection of product. We hope you give us the opportunity to earn your wholesale business, thanks.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: John Lentz (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 05, 2013 10:35AM

As a former Merrick tackle customer I am very pleased with the service I have received from Mudhole. When I heard Merrick was closing I knew it would hurt my business as I used to do a lot of drop ships for customers and also the fact that Merrick carried a lot of other fishing related items.
As stated above there are other vendors for a lot of the items Merrick carried but there are also items that I have not found replacement vendors for as this is the slow season and I have not needed these items yet. In the rod building side Mudhole has a very nice selection, shipping is very reasonable and customer service has been great.

John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 05, 2013 10:39AM

MudHole

Are you going to ship products from the Merrick real estate in what NY ?? for us Northeasters to get quicker shipping
Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2013 01:07PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MudHole
>
> Are you going to ship products from the Merrick
> real estate in what NY ?? for us Northeasters to
> get quicker shipping
> Thanks

That would be nice Bill . I ordered a set of guides that sat in Florida for three days between sort facilities before it ever headed notth. Total time with a Monday hoiday in there was eight days to Maryland. That being said, it is not the norm, Mudhole does a great job of getting it out their door and can't be held responsible for usps and others.

I was also wondering , if Mud Hole bought the stock of Merrick what are they doing to dispose of all that inventory. I can understand competative products but how about things like Matagi ?

Tom

Bel Air, Md.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2013 01:12PM by Tom Wewerka.

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 05, 2013 02:16PM

Thank you to all for the response. Kevin I really appreciate the offer and may take you up on it at a latter date.Todd, I will be anxiously awaiting the new catalogue and I did not mean for this thread to reflect negatively on mudhole, I have been a happy customer of mudhole for many years and as ill continue to be.Once again I thank you all, Spike

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Date: December 05, 2013 02:39PM

OK fine

But are you going to use it too ship products ??????

A simple yes or no -- But the time I find any one around here I have to use two and some times more to get all I need -- the shipping for all adds up Nice to get all from one

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2013 05:22PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> MudHole
>
> Are you going to ship products from the Merrick
> real estate in what NY ?? for us Northeasters to
> get quicker shipping
> Thanks

Bill,
The location in Shandaken was closed after the purchase of the company. The inventory was transported to our warehouse in Florida, sorry to be the barer of bad news.

Kind Regards,

Brook Oliva
Mud Hole Custom Tackle, Inc.
brook@mudhole.com
(866)-790-RODS

Date: December 05, 2013 05:28PM

Hi Tom W.,

Merrick had no inventory of Matagi when it was purchased - hence nothing to sell. We do have several options for those looking for Matagi components.

Matagi manufactures the Mud Hole painted casting and spinning seats for us - Matagi quality, in stock and ready to ship - follow the links below.
[www.mudhole.com]
[www.mudhole.com]
[www.mudhole.com]

NEW Matagi painted Fuji SK2 casting and spining seats - in stock and ready ship - follow the links below:
[www.mudhole.com]
[www.mudhole.com]

For those looking for the Matagi handle systems, we recommend checking out the CRB Handle Systems - they feature a larger ID tube to fit more blanks, follow the link below:
[www.mudhole.com]

And finally, need some handle ideas?? For those needing some handle ideas we have put together some handle combinations we think work well - follow the link below
[www.mudhole.com]

Mud Hole also stocks and offers more styles of winding checks, spacers and trim pieces than anyone - visit our web site to see the hundreds of possible combinations.

Re shipping times - at Mud Hole we are just swamped with orders from customers who took advantage of our Black Friday and Cyber Monday specials - so all orders are taking longer than normal to process. We are working 7 days a week and overtime to fulfill these orders, Thank you everyone - its a good problem to have and the employees appreciate the overtime around the holidays!

Thank you for opportunity to earn your business.

Regards.

Stay Connected with us:

Date: December 05, 2013 05:40PM

Gee guys
You could have owened the East Coast

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2013 05:53PM

Curious about the holographic finish, does that paint change colors with different angles to light?

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 05, 2013 07:16PM

Hello MudHole & Brook.

I wonder why the ALN Nuts don't fit the XRS Reel Seats?

If you ever get them to the same thread size let me know!!!

Thanks.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 05, 2013 09:41PM

To the folks at Mudhole

Thanks for that great response. They are beautiful reel seats and I am sure the quality is first class. Will definitely give them a try.

And there has never been a complaint on your shipping response time, I am very pleased.

Tom

tomscustomrods.com

Date: December 06, 2013 04:53PM

Yes John it does.

Regards.

Stay Connected with us:

Posted by: bill brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: December 08, 2013 04:01PM

I am a long time buyer at both merrick and mudhole. I moved from Florida to the northeast and do find a slow down in the receiving of my mudhole orders so was a merrick customer. My new business in the north is much bigger then in florida and the demand for product and turn around is much faster. I also miss certain items mudhole does not carry that merrick did. I also don't like the shipping charges mudhole does with there system. Just my two cents

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster