I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Discoloration Help
Posted by: David Stanfield (---.knology.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 08:54AM

I have had several instances of thread discoloration lately. It is occurring only where the thread goes over the guide feet. It is dark and appears to run down from the feet on both sides. It occurs after the first epoxy application. I am using the same components, color preserver, and epoxy that I always use. I would think it has to be related to the guide feet or something I'm doing. Any ideas on what is causing this and what can be done to prevent it ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Discoloration Help
Posted by: howard hodges (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 09:49AM

David, If you are using CP then you are not getting the CP down in the channels created by the guide foot. I had the same problem on a fly rod and Mr. Kirkman got me straightened out. Take a sharp pointed instrument or a tooth pick and put a drop of CP in both channels of each foot then apply CP to the remainder of the thread. That should solve your problem.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.ripon.k12.wi.us)
Date: December 02, 2013 10:02AM

Pack your thread as tight as you can also. And to re-state from previous post, get the CP down the tunnels and SOAK the threads with CP

Buzz

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 12:36PM

If talking about double foot, place them on a flat surface to make sure they are sitting flat. Sometimes I receive them and they need some adjusting. If not flat possibly the gap between the blank and feet is allowing some discoloration.

Just a guess.

If single foot or fly I'm not sure as I've never had happen. I do burnish like crazy though and use CP.

Posted by: David Stanfield (---.knology.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 04:12PM

Although I used 3 coats of color preserver, apparently it did not get under the guide feet because that's the only place there is a discoloration. Six of the guides were 4mm micros and they also showed the same problem. The color preserver did seem to have a higher than normal viscosity. Can CP be thinned to get better penetration ? Thanks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 04:45PM

Yes
Depending on the maker
But they all tell you you should not
If you do thin put more coats on I like water based

I usually put a wet coat while turning
Wait -- you can see as the thread soaks up the CP it will only take several minutes Not long at all -- Do not let it dry -- Baby Sit --or it will harden and be harder for another coat to Penetrate After a couple of minutes Stop the turner i will turn the guides left and then right and put a nice heavy coat on the area of the channel let this soak in When it looks like it will not take more I start the turner and coat the wrap again -- then let dry

But you do have to PACK and BURNISH well

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster