I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod wrapper recommendation please
Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 08:20PM

I build 6-10 rods/ year for myself and a few others, almost all light-med spinning rods. I stepped up from a phone book and coffee mug thread holder a few years ago to a homemade wrapper. I'm considering getting an electric wrapper but not sure what features that I'd like in one or even what is possible with one. Any help would be appreciated. I wouldn't mind a used one.

Thanks!
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod wrapper recommendation please
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: December 01, 2013 09:50PM

Get yourself a nice hand wrapper, the Sully. It breaks down to a tiny little thing, completely portable, easy to stick in a desk drawer, etc. It has an automatic tensioner and works great. IMO, the way to go ... especially for 6-10 rods per year. I have built hundreds of rods on one and never missed a beat. In case you were wondering, I owned a power wrapper and finally dusted it off and sold it. If heavy offshore rods were my thing, it would still be on my bench. For light rods (fly, bass, inshore) the hand wrapper is just a better solution for my needs/preferences. Angler's Workshop is where I would recommend making the purchase. FYI, it is made of top quality components ... it won't wear out.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: December 01, 2013 10:01PM

Flex Coat, Pac Bay and batson all make a nice handwrapper. I think Batson's are on sale now as well. Utmost Enterprises has them all. Entry level power wrappers from Batson and Pac Bay are a good start, if power is what you want. If you choose that route, it pays to invest in the upgraded chuck...which I believe they both offer as well. Power is nice, not necessary, but if you can afford it, a good investment in the craft.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 12:32AM

Scott,
The other avenue is to build a wrapper yourself.
Basically, a wrapper consists of a base, 3 or 4 rod rests, a thread tension device and a power unit and head stock.

Be safe

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 10:25AM

Unless you are dying to have a power wrapper, at 6-10 rods a year, a decent hand wrapper will do nicely. If you plan on expanding to 20-50 rods a year, then a power wrapper might be a good choice. People build a lot of nice rods on hand wrappers, and I used one for years before upgrading. The Sully wrapper is a good choice, as is the Flexcoat wrapper. It's pretty easy to make one yourself if you want to save a little money.

If you've been working off a phone book and a cardboard box with V notches, a hand wrapper with a solid thread tensioner will be a good deal for you.

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 10:48AM

Check out the photo page under equipment A lot of builders have built some nice wrappers get some ideas

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2013 01:20PM

Although I am not a volume builder, I bought an Alps power wrapper last year.
I have some arthritis in my hands and twisting the rod sometimes gave me a lot of pain.
I still do fine work by turning the rod by hand, but having the whole rod supported is a real bonus.
Applying finish and drying are much easier with power.
Turning cork is a piece of cake, and if you ever get a high spot in the finish, over an inlay etc, it's a snap to sand it out.
All the basic wrappers are pretty much the same, but I think the Alps chuck is out standing.
Garry2rs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2013 12:11AM by Garry Thornton.

Date: December 02, 2013 01:20PM

OOPS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2013 02:54PM by Garry Thornton.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 02:49PM

I would suggest reading all info on wrapper chucks with the search here

A lot of problems with them holding rods

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2013 08:42PM

With that low of volume, it depends more on the type of rods you build. For example. if you build fly rods or light spinning rods, it probably does not make sense, as the guide wraps are short. If you are doing heavier rods with bigger and longer wraps, it's still a little dicey for that few, but would work.

I build only fly rods and almost exclusively with single foot guides, so a power wrapper for me makes no sense. It would be; start/stop.

Date: December 03, 2013 12:19AM

Look at it this way...If you want it, buy it!
The cost is about the same as a couple tanks of gas, or dinner out with the family.
If you decide it's not for you, you can sell it for basically what you paid.
I think a power wrapper made rod building more enjoyable for me.
A friend, who builds beautiful float rods, uses a tiny wooden hand wrapper...and I don't dispute others can do the same...However I wouldn't go back.
Garry2rs

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: December 04, 2013 08:11AM

Thanks fellas!

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: December 04, 2013 10:46PM

I purchased a power wrapper this past fall and really like it. It does have an updated chuck which is nice. I have a thumb that is missing one joint (arthritis) so turning by hand was doable, but not nice. I had a tendency to shuffle the rod from side-to-side when rotating it. With the power wrapper there is less fatigue.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster