I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly blank to spinning rod
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 29, 2013 07:15PM

I have been thinking about this for awhile, and am ready to give it a try. These will be pan fish and smaller trout rods. Small Jigs, and Mepp's size O to 1. Can anyone that has done this give me some idea about how to figure out the fly line weight to jig weight thing? The Batson blanks I am looking at go down to 2 weight, and up to 5 weight. I am sort of thinking 2 weight might be too light, and 5 weight too heavy.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly blank to spinning rod
Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 29, 2013 07:37PM

As a rule of thumb you can convert the fly rod weight to 16th's. a 3 wt would be rated for 3/16 oz, a 4 wt to 4/16 and so on. This is not exact but will get you started. I believe you will find fly blanks will meet your needs extremely well.

Date: November 29, 2013 07:54PM

Don:

Thanks for the info. Is this sort of the Maximum they will handle? I am looking for something that will cast 1/32 oz. on the low side. 2 to 4 pound test line. I am looking more for the low side to high side thing.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2013 08:01PM

The problem is that no rated fly rod "weight" is accountable to any particular scale. One company's 4-weight rod may be more powerful than another company's 6-weight rod. CCS ERN numbers will put you a lot closer, but they won't be available for all makes.

Regardless, you'll need to look at a fairly light blank, something in the 2 or 3-weight realm.

Date: November 29, 2013 08:30PM

Thanks Tom. I was looking at the 6'6" 2 WT. and 7'6" 3-5 WT. Batson Forecast 6 blanks.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 29, 2013 08:45PM

If you really want to cast 1/32 ounce, I'd look hard at the 2-weight.

Date: November 29, 2013 08:49PM

Thanks Tom.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 01:52AM

I have built quite a few spinning rods, using fly rods for pan fish and always use a 2 wt rod.

It works well.

be safe

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 05:37AM

I have to agree with Tom and Roger on the 2wt, possibly even a 1wt if you want a lot of fun with them

Ron Weber

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.124.21.---)
Date: November 30, 2013 08:30AM

Unless space is an issue, go long rather than short.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 04:15PM

Fly rod blanks, like all other blanks, are rated by how much weight they cast best. Whether this weight is provided by a lure or a length of fly line makes no difference. Here are the ideal weight ranges for fly rod blanks as determined by the old AFTMA standard (the only one we have):
3wt. - .215 - .242 oz.
4wt. - .261 - .288 oz.
5wt. - .306 - .334 oz.
6wt. - .347 - .384 oz.
7wt. - .405 - .441 oz.
8wt. - .462 - .498 oz.
9wt. - .526 - .571 oz.

Date: November 30, 2013 06:47PM

Phil:

Thanks for the numbers. I did a quick search and came up with the AFTMA numbers for the 2 Wt. blank. They are:

2WT.-.169-.196 oz.

I know I am not the smartest, and am sure I am simply looking at things the wrong way. I mostly use small tube skirt jigs in the 1/32 to 1/8 oz. area the lighter the better. I also know that this is the lead head and hook weight. The tube will add to this. The Mepp's size 0 lure weighs 1/12th oz. This works out to a lure weight range of between .0312-.125 oz. Even the 2wt. blank appears to be too heavy to throw even the 1/8 oz. jig. What am I missing here?

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 07:47PM

Mike:

I would say you are missing out on the fun of fly fishing, but then I'm prejudiced.

Date: November 30, 2013 08:41PM

Phil:

I am happy to say that you might be wrong. I love building fly rods, tying flies, and fishing them. I like catching fish more, and am not ashamed to say that I have drowned my fair share of worms. I am just trying to figure how light I need to go with the fly blanks to cast these jigs and lures.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster