I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Will Guides Spook Fish
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.bvtn.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: November 28, 2013 06:00PM

I have this friend who thinks that Crome or Gold Guides will spook the fish and I might point out that this guy is a professional Bass Fishermen but I just cannot come to beleave this as I just bet that there are alot of bass fishermen on the Bass circuit that have these type of guides on there poles.

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2013 02:38AM by Glenn McMurrian.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Will Guides Spook Fish
Posted by: Frank MacDonald (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 28, 2013 06:31PM

Ya and cows can fly

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 28, 2013 07:40PM

I think your friend is special....lol

Actually any change, shadow or shine can spook fish if they are that close, but normally we cast to the fish, so when they see the shine they are in the net....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2013 08:11PM by Don Morse.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2013 08:08PM

Yes they can. Although I wouldn't put too much worry into it. The shadow of your rod will have way more of a spook factor.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 28, 2013 08:10PM

If you're that close then there are plenty of other things going on that are likely to spook them first. However, if they have this in their minds, you may wish to offer them a more stealthy look in a custom rod that would not only help put their minds at ease, but perhaps result in a rod sale or two for you.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2013 10:09PM

The only thing that I have ever seen spook a fish is the splash of a line or lure on the water surface. If something else spooked them it would be falling leaves the reflection of the sun, etc. don't worry about your guides.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2013 10:32PM

Hay Frank
I thought it was Pigs fly

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2013 10:51PM

When you are fishing close, (flipping or pitching) the sun reflecting off your guides can spook the fish.
Especially in clearer water, that same reflection can also interfere with your sight when trying to spot the fish, like a mirror reflecting into the eyes.

When building rods for these applications I follow Mr Kirkman's advice and build them stealthy.

Much of my flipping is done with pork trailer's on jigs "pig-n-jigs", so I guess pigs do fly.

Posted by: Frank MacDonald (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: November 28, 2013 11:16PM

In Canada it's cows lol

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2013 02:41AM

Keep the fisher person and all of the fisher persons equipment far enough from the fish to ever have any chance that a fish might be spooked by the presence of either fisher folks or any equipment.

Distance it the fisher person's best friend.

Be safe

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: November 29, 2013 03:13AM

When you fish close you don't want 'flash'.
On some occasion Tich or black guide can make a "little" difference (note you can only seen it if you're able to get close close to the fish in gin clear water and cast without putting line or rod shadow in fish vision cone).

Posted by: Burton Bosley (---.direcway.com)
Date: November 29, 2013 07:50AM

When I was guiding bonefishermen in the Fl. keys - I wanted no splash and no flash - I'm still a big believer in dull - non-reflective hardware and finish on rods - I'm sure that's unneccassary on waters with low visibility but clear water, bright sun - why take the chance?

burt

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2013 08:17AM

Shadows and reflective hardware can both spook the fish. but from different solar perspectives.

Shadows (casting reflections over the fish) occur when the sun is more behind you and most of the time can be preventd by positioning yourself and boat in such a way to avoid it affecting the fish.

Reflections from shiny hardware occur from when the sun is more in front of you and cannot be easily controlled, as the angle of reflection changes every instant the rod is in motion.

In a world where fish have learned to be leery of any threat from above (mostly educated from escaping predatory threats from birds) either to the two can negatively effect how they respond to your presentations.

Roger;
with all due respect; comments like that come from people who don't understand the concept behind flipping and pitching. Or bed fishing where you need to be close enough to effectively use the presentations or see the fish.

Date: November 29, 2013 09:44AM

It's important to understand how to blend in with regard to the foliage or sky behind you. Wearing dark clothes and carrying dark equipment on an open saltwater flat isn't being stealthy - you stand out like a sore thumb. Sometimes bright colored clothing and equipment equal the more stealthy approach. You have to keep in mind the back ground involved. What equates to stealth on a closed in small stream is likely to be the opposite on large, open bodies of water.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 29, 2013 05:23PM

If I hired a guide that spooked fish I would fire him, no matter what color or size that guide was.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 29, 2013 06:30PM

Phil, read the post, they are talking about rod guides, not fishing guides!

Date: November 29, 2013 07:01PM

I suspect he knows that. (Maybe you do too.)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 11:35AM

Phil,
Maybe this was the guide - A good friend of mine who guided for a local resort in Wi, when he was a teen, so many years ago -

He had taken a couple of fellows out for a walleye fishing trip on a lake in Wi. These fellows were with their wives on vacation from Chicago.

One of the fellows had just caught a nice big walleye - but before letting my friend, ( the young teen , at the time) net the fish; the fellow pulled out a pistol from his vest holster and shot the fish so he wouldn't be thrashing around in the boat.

It appears that members of organized crime liked to go on vacation and catch a fish now and then as well.

My friend, said, that he had trouble sleeping for some time after that; after he realized who he had had in the boat with him t hat day.

Be safe

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2013 01:13PM

As they say in the South "Bless his Heart".

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 04:33PM

Hello All.

Forrest, it's "Bless his Heart & Change his Unders"

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster