I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mhx or Mhx HI-Mod
Posted by: jeff vanek (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 27, 2013 03:30PM

Looking to build 3 or 4 bass rods....are the Mhx HI-Mod worth the extra money?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mhx or Mhx HI-Mod
Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2013 05:22PM

It depends on the application. The Hi Mod are a little lighter and make sensitive rods for finesse applications. The standard MHX are not bad blanks either. They're fairly light & pretty crisp.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2013 05:26PM

In a nut shell, high modulus is great for situations where you want extreme sensitivity...Jigging, dragging a T-rigged worm, drop-shot, popping or Carolina rigging.
Mid-modulus is better for wire baits, rattle traps etc. Lower modulus is preferred for live bait, crank-baits etc.
Out on the water, you can catch a ton of bass using IM6 rods and save a lot of money...sort of like driving a Ford Focus.
On the other hand we all like think about having a 662hp Shelby Mustang GT500 in the garage.
Garry2rs

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 27, 2013 06:32PM

Garry -

Modulus rating and action aren't interchangeable and don't necessarily have any correlation. There is much more to a blank than modulus rating. In fact, it is one of the technical specifications that is extremely misused by marketing departments.

Jim -

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: November 27, 2013 06:51PM

Okay Jim, let's hear your explanation, it in a nut shell.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 27, 2013 07:02PM

I suspect if we used any old rod and spent one hour a month longer fishing we would catch more and bigger fish than if we fished with the most technically sophisticated rod without that extra hour.
The "right" rod is a delight to own and use, but experience and time on the water is what catches fish.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 27, 2013 08:13PM

St Croix 5C72MM-B = SC5 Ultra High-Modulus Carbon Fiber Scrim = Light Crankbait with Moderate Action

St Croix 2C70MF = SC2 Low-Modulus Fiberglass Scrim = Worm Rod with Fast Action

The SC5 is a much higher modulus rating, yet it is a slower action by far. Modulus rating is a bad thing to concentrate upon. Look at scrim material, resin content, taper design, etc. they are much more telling and honest.

Bass Pro Shops offers a series of rods featuring 85 million modulus graphite blanks, Type 1 Slit Carbon Powerwall construction and a carbon cloth butt wrap. Plus free shipping if you have the "secret code".

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: November 28, 2013 12:01AM

As MHX HM came with a Rod bag (and if you need them) cost is not too much VS standard.

HM seems to be à little lighter on the tip too (and more responsive).

So as stated by Mike Lawson it depends on the application.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 28, 2013 08:52AM

For finesse applications I'd say it's worth it. For flipping bass into the boat I'd say no.

Posted by: Brett Chappell (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2013 01:52PM

I have to agree with Gary I have both types of MHX blanks and I bass fish. I built all my finesse type rods on the higher modulus blanks. There lighter and have a smaller tip which is better for feel. If your not finesse fishing save the extra 50 bucks and put it on building another rod. As a fisherman you can never have to many rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster