I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Interesting times ahead?
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2013 08:33AM

I missed this when it was announced back in September. It appears as though fishing rods using nano-technology (originally introduced in 2008 by Airrus & brought to the fore in 2010 by St Croix) will now be available to a much wider market:

[tackletradeworld.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting times ahead?
Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.165.73.86.rev.sfr.net)
Date: November 26, 2013 09:57AM

... or rather the contrary since it is now exclusively available to Jarden Corp brands.
interesting piece of rethoric nevertheless, to present 'strategic alignment' as a widening of availability...

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 26, 2013 04:27PM

Looks like Jarden Corp will have a monopoly on the technology, so I don't see how that is a good thing.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.co.shawnee.ks.us)
Date: November 26, 2013 07:01PM

Just sounds to me like they bought some old technology, If St Croix is no longer using it then probably Batson and Northfork are already ahead of the game, There is the top three in the game in my Opinion anyways, although there are some other nice blanks they will just be old technology, still a good product.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 26, 2013 10:17PM

3M needs volume, it maybe that there current users could not fulfill there needs and they believe Jarden will. That's what business is about! Not negative or p[positive just the free market working the way it should!

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 26, 2013 11:16PM

The story on the street is that 3M wanted the manufactures to place there "logos" on the rod or tags, but there wasn't any acknowledgement as to how much was required to be in the rod, percentage-wise. So if some companies choose to use only 10% in their blanks they would get the same bang for the buck (advertisement-wise) as other manufactures that used it at 100% level. You just don't know how much the manufactures are using it and if they are watering it down with older technology. Some companies abandoned 3M and pursued other avenues of equally good chemistries on their own. This hurts me because I'm a retired 3Mer. :-(

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.rev.numericable.fr)
Date: November 27, 2013 05:28AM

@ Phil: of course it is! But if a rock falls on my foot and crush it, that's just gravity working the way it should. Does that mean I should rejoice?
^_^

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 27, 2013 06:51PM

Laurent, no, it just means your foot was in the wrong place or you didn't have a good grip on the rock! LOL My point was that 3M is one of the USA's leading industrial companies, and they don't make decisions like this on a whim. There must be good business reasons from their point of view. Given that there seems to be acceptable replacement materials, the effect on the custom and or hobby rod builder should be minimal..

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2013 04:06PM

Chester, I traded some email with St. Croix and they alluded to this exact point. I asked them why they stopped using the Powerlux logo from 3M and your reply was essentially their response.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster