I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: shipping
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: November 25, 2013 06:06PM

Mr. MacDonald,
In regards to stuff coming from China, look up their mail service China Post. Its quite a thing. I don't think anything like it is politically possible in the U.S. (or should be.)
Shipping is just a cost, like any other cost, that business pass on in different ways. The fact that shipping is such an issue these days is a result of ever increasing online sales. Pretty soon we may be 3D printing everything we want. Then we can all complain about the raw material cost of printing our favorite blank, or possibly even finished rod.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.84.---)
Date: November 26, 2013 06:29PM

With all due respect to those arguing that it makes sense to charge shipping by cost, I think we all know that this is really unjust, and justifying it is really a copout.. When you pay more for "light", which costs more, then pay more for shipping because it is more costly (meaning light), it is not right. OK, I understand that I don't have to buy, but if every vendor uses the same protocol for calculating shipping costs, there is no way to avoid this injustice other than not buying. I started buying from a vendor who said he charged only actual shipping charges, but it turned out not to be true. You cannot tell the true shipping cost by the package because it is not shown there, but if I can ship a package big enough to contain about 30 tennis balls to my son's dog for about $11.00, then I should be able to ship $100 worth of titanium guides that weigh a fraction of the tennis balls and take up about 1/100 of the volume for less than $15.00. Ah, but that doesn't count the "handling." I have to pay the person I'm buying from for "handling?" I think I should be given a discount for having to "handle" it at my end. We all know what's going on here.

I still think that for many vendors they make more on shipping than they do on the product. Maybe that's the only way to stay in business. Anyway, for us buyers, it really doesn't seem fair.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 26, 2013 06:42PM

Enjoy it

Just bend over and smile

Your president even LIED to all of us -- Just keep smiling

What the Heck else can ya do ???? Find some one to ship cheaper or buy when there is a SALE

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2013 06:48PM

As someone that spends roughly $50,000 on mailing and shipping fees each year, I can say that most who aren't in the business of shipping just don't have a clue what's involved.

Date: November 26, 2013 07:07PM

And shipping is Just a Cost

Well when a fisher person can go to a store and PULL a rod off the shelf for x amount

But a Builder has to pay for THAT BLANK which is the same cost of that COMPLETE ROD

Are you SERIOUS And every year the cost goes UP
And the OFF THE SHELF rods look like Custom Rods

Does that make sense to you IT does not to me

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 26, 2013 08:34PM

With all due respect to those who argue that the common practice of charging shipping by cost is appropriate, we all know that it is not. The lighter the product, the more costly it is, and the lower the actual shipping charges, but the higher the assigned charges are. I can send about 30 tennis balls to my son's dog for about $10.00, but it costs probably $15.00 to get $100 worth of guides that weigh almost nothing and have about 1/100 the volume. Buy elsewhere? Almost all have the same policy. I bought from a company that told me they charged only actual shipping, but evidently that policy changed before I received my order because it was the usual cost-based shipping. OK, I understand that higher values may have higher insurance costs, but it is nothing compared to what we are being charged. Handling? Maybe I should charge handling for my trouble in unpacking it.

This whole thing is a charade, and we all know it. I would much prefer that companies charge honest prices for their products and charge honest shipping rather than advertise artificially low prices then make it up on shipping (and handling!) charges that have no relationship to the actual costs involved.

Of course nothing is about to change because those who do it right will be perceived as having prices that are too high.

Date: November 26, 2013 08:40PM

Sorry to repetitious, but I couldn't find my first post, so tried to do it again. One final comment, we buyers do in fact have a clue on what's going on here, and to argue that we don't has a really condescending smack to it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2013 09:59PM

It's like somebody telling me that I can mail them a magazine for a couple bucks. I can't. No way. The postage is the least of my mailing/shipping cost.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: November 26, 2013 10:09PM

Nearly every company I buy from mail order averages their shipping charges and bases them on the purchase amount. I have no idea if they make any money on their shipping charges. My guess is that they make a little on one and lose a little on the next one. Somebody has to pay for the boxes, rod tubes, PVC, bubble wrap, styro peanuts, tape, labels, etcetera. It adds up. Check a ULine catalog some time. You can easily spend a few bucks per order just on the packaging stuff.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: November 26, 2013 10:54PM

Since I cannot drive to any of these places and buy the stuff in person I never worry about shipping charges. They are always less than it would cost me to drive to the shop especially if my time is worth anything at all.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 27, 2013 09:45AM

There is at least one sponsor on the left that runs a free shipping event every year. Watch for things like that. Plan wisely and place a bulk order. If you're just dabbling in this hobby and ordering one blank and a couple spools of thread for every build it will cost you big time. Use the forums and social media to find other builders near you and share the shipping. Go to the ICRBE if at all possible and you will be amazed at the deals to be had.

I usually make a thermos of coffee before I leave for work. One day I was running late and stopped by Dunn Bros to get a large mocha. As I was pulling a few ones out of my wallet the lady said "that will be $5.75". Oh my! Century Link just sent me a nice letter saying the monthly cost was going up a few dollars. Everything is costing more. My cost to ship a rod USPS went from about $15 to $25.

We all have a choice. Make a thermos of coffee at home or go through the drive-thru.

Posted by: Burton Bosley (---.direcway.com)
Date: November 27, 2013 02:25PM

I live 20 miles from the post office - a 100 miles to buy even a rod guide (very small selection) - I do most all my shopping on line now and whatever rate they charge for shipping is okay with me but I must get it together to quit ordering small amounts then needing to reorder two weeks later.

Date: November 27, 2013 02:28PM

Just trying to stir up the pot -- Are you LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 27, 2013 04:28PM

You could always use Utmost Enterprises.....shipping anywhere in the world for the actual cost of mailing, USPS or FedEx...no handling charges, no packing charges, no hidden charges.

Date: November 27, 2013 05:33PM

Utmost is also fast Thought it would take forever to get to Jersey Got stuff in just several days
And they are next door to Batson

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: chip burdick (---.61.130.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 28, 2013 08:43AM

I build for myself and friends so I am not buying bulk. When I order I make sure to get extras. A different color thread, a new burnisher, cup. Whatever. Yeah I have more stuff than I need but it spreads the cost of shipping. Its an unnecessary evil to be able to make a "custom" rod. If that wasn't an issue I would buy off the shelf. Needless to say I make nothing for a rod. So passing that cost isn't an option. But they get something they will use as a birthday or christmas present. When you buy someone something they ask for for a present does shipping come into play?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2013 12:15PM

Those that believe that shipping is a profit center for a business, don't have a clue to the total costs of packaging and shipping! They appear to look at the postage or freight and think that's it. If you have never run a business, you also have no clue as to the cost incurred.

Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 01:21PM

Just to add my 2 cents worth.
I just placed an order of $60 and the shipping came to $23, At first glance high right?
But this included a 1 piece 8" rod as well as all the components I need to make a good profit for myself.
Plus there is insurance and packaging to think about so I don't think its too bad. Annoying when you are ordering 1 or 2 items but not bad when you have a big order
Andi

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 04:26PM

Hello Andi, the rod blank is 8' not 8".

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 30, 2013 07:07PM

That is true!LOL
Need to check my posts before clicking post!
Andi

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster