I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide sizing confusion
Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 11:35AM

Guys I was wondering other than experience how do you determine what size/style guides do you chose for your build?
I know its seems like a general ?? but the more I read from my searches the more confused I get.........
How would I choose the guides I need for a rod without inventorying a complete assortment guides to tape on and try?
What do the numbers represent, the size of the hole in the insert?
For the most part do all mfg use the same sizing?
Thanks
Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide sizing confusion
Posted by: Ross Pearson (---.dlth.qwest.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 12:07PM

I build mostly spinning rods in my area so I use single foot fly guides as the running guides of size 6 or 8 for lightness and to prevent ice build up that we experience here when fishing during the colder months. The size refers to the outside diameter of the ring insert in the frame of the guide. This is fairly standard for the various manufacturers as far as I know. There are articles in the library on how to choose the right guides for your specific rod building task .

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.84.---)
Date: November 23, 2013 07:27PM

You ask a great question. On casting builds you should be able to predict what you'll need OK without having to try a lot of guides. On spinning, many builders buy a lot of guides of different styles, in the cheaper ring grades to keep costs down, so they will have them on hand to try when designing their rods.

My first question is whether I want the spinning rod to be compact, to fit into rod travel tubes or boat storage tubes or not. If yes, then you're talking V guides, or maybe Y guides. If tubes are not an issue then you have a number of ways to go. The simplest is Microwave, which is a system that works and has no options. Just buy it and install it. Next is the Fuji K system approach which has more options, but is still pretty simple. Check it out on the Fuji site Anglers Resource on the left. Next go to the library and check out the New Guide Concept system. After that search this forum for the 27X system.

There is no simple answer to your question; you have to do a lot of research and probably gain some experience by making some rods and seeing how they work. Only then will you be able to purchase just what you need with confidence.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.105.84.---)
Date: November 23, 2013 07:27PM

You ask a great question. On casting builds you should be able to predict what you'll need OK without having to try a lot of guides. On spinning, many builders buy a lot of guides of different styles, in the cheaper ring grades to keep costs down, so they will have them on hand to try when designing their rods.

My first question is whether I want the spinning rod to be compact, to fit into rod travel tubes or boat storage tubes or not. If yes, then you're talking V guides, or maybe Y guides. If tubes are not an issue then you have a number of ways to go. The simplest is Microwave, which is a system that works and has no options. Just buy it and install it. Next is the Fuji K system approach which has more options, but is still pretty simple. Check it out on the Fuji site Anglers Resource on the left. Next go to the library and check out the New Guide Concept system. After that search this forum for the 27X system.

There is no simple answer to your question; you have to do a lot of research and probably gain some experience by making some rods and seeing how they work. Only then will you be able to purchase just what you need with confidence.

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 11:36PM

Thanks for your responses guys, I didnt know about the library, thats a great tool.
Never thought about fuji site will check it out.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster