I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what spinng reel would go with this rod?
Posted by: sanford hochman (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 09:21AM

I am building a light 10-20lb 7' Boshida rod with the AT microwave guides. Can you suggest a spinning reel that I can use with braid, fishing for striped bass, fluke, albies for inshore saltwater fishing? I think it would not exceed a 3000 type reel. Thanks,
Sanford

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what spinng reel would go with this rod?
Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2013 10:12AM

To the best of my knowledge, the 2500 and 3000 series are essentially the same reel, with the 3000 having a larger capacity spool.

Posted by: mike thacker (---.sw.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2013 01:08PM

I like Penns. I use a Conquer on my popping rod and its a great reel, but pricey. I recently got a Fierce and have only used it a couple times but like it and the price point is friendlier. I am always looking for the older Penn SS series on the @#$%& sites. If you've figured out your line size and the distance you expect to have to cast and what kind of run you can expect after hook up, you will get your size reel and then It will come down to your preference.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 01:50PM

Sanford,
Use any of about 50 different reels that suit you - both with respect to price and performance. You can get reels that will work well from $40 to $4000, your choice.

Be safe

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 02:39PM

Hello Sanford.

I use an old Shamano 3500 Bait Feeder (don't know if they still make the 3500), two reels in one live lining, trolling, ballooning, bottom fishing and more than I can think of.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: November 23, 2013 03:33PM

Robert,'
I have a Shimano 3500, but I thought it was too heavy for this light rod. That is why I am thinking of another reel. I know there are dozens of reels, but I could use some suggestions as a start. Thanks,'
Sanford

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 04:41PM

Hello Sanford.

Well you say you are fishing for striped bass(Powerful but not Real Fast), Fluke(EZ Fish but can be strong depending on size), and Albies(A member of the Tuna Family; Fast and Strong).
Then you say the rod is listed as a 10-20# class(You don't say what Type & Size of line you intend to use).
Next you say a 3500 is too big(so How Many Yards of Line will you put on this Less than 3500 Reel?)

I prefer Bait-feeders for everything but bottom fishing and heavy trolling.
I don't know if Shimano still makes their 250 but even if they did you are not likely to catch an Albie of any size with it, but who knows.

Okuma makes them from an ABF-20a on up.
The small reels are not designed for 20# drag, the smallest one listed for 20# drag is the ABF-50(17# drag at a wt. of 27.4 oz. holds a good amount of 20# line at 320 yrds) in the Avenger Series.
In the Trio Series they have the TRIO-BF-55(20# drag at a wt. of 17oz. it does not list yardage at 20# but the 15# yardage is only 250 yrds).

So the main questions are:
1. What type of line will you be using?
2. What size of line will you be using?
3. How many yards of line will you be needing?

Just My $0.02.
Good Luck and Tight Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 23, 2013 06:22PM

i really like penn slammer 260. great inshore and beach casting for spec trout.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 07:01PM

FWIW not all 3000 reels are the same size. A 4000 stradic is listed as holding 265 yards of 15# braid (about right for albies IMHO). The Daiwa Braida 3000 will hold 330 meters of PE 1.5. Pretty big difference.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 07:51PM

Russ

How many yards are in a meter ??? Or meters in a yard

How about making the measurments the same Then some of us poor foke can know the difference

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 23, 2013 08:53PM

I will be using braid and can use a heavier line which is still thinner than mono. I have tried this on Block Island and had success picking up fluke and striped bass. Since I will be boat fishing, I won't need over 250 yards of line on the reel. I live and fish on Cape Cod, Mass. where we have striped bass, blues, fluke and sea bass.. a good variety of fish. Russ, there is 39.37" to a meter, making a meter a little longer than a yard (36").

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 01:56AM

A Van Staal VS150 (or even a VS100) would be my first choice for such a rig... if money was no object.
Quantum, the parent company of Van Staal, makes the Boca and Cabo reels which should do well for you
and are priced much lower. I wouldn't want a reel that weighed over 16 oz on such a light rig.

Date: November 24, 2013 07:05AM

I own a Van Staal 250 and like it a lot. I will look into it. I also have the Quantum Boca and Cabo reels and find them smooth as silk. All of them I own are too big for the rod, but I think these two brands of reels may be my final choice. I hadn't thought about the Van Staal until now. It is expensive, but worth the money. Thanks.
Sanford

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 07:02PM

Sanford, I would forget about the Microwave guides and slap a set of casting guides on that blank and get yourself a OKUMA Cedros #CJ-273 saltwater rated baitcasting reel. I think it would be better suited for your intent.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: November 24, 2013 07:18PM

The guy is building a Spinning Rod
Why should he do that ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 24, 2013 08:27PM

Thanks Bill

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 08:28PM

Bill , Its just a suggestion. I don't think the microwave set up would be beneficial.There's nothing to gain. I think it would hinder the rods capability in this application. I think K guides would be a better choice for a spinning rod for this use.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: November 25, 2013 09:06AM

That does make sense No pig tails to have to streighten out With more distance in casting

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 25, 2013 12:01PM

Sanford, I'm happy to see you agree with me about the Van Staal reels.
They are awesome machines and a pleasure to use. It's great to never have to worry about the reel failing under pressure.
I've done very well purchasing them on that unnamed site... both new and used.
In case you wonder about the strength of the VS100 it handled a 100lb shark without a hitch.
I'm also a big fan of their fly reels. Simply the best!
Good luck to you.
I wish I could be on board with you when you hook into those stripers.
Dave

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (128.82.35.---)
Date: November 25, 2013 12:46PM

Shimano Stradic 3000

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster