I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Volume 16 #6
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 21, 2013 01:59PM

This issue will mail next Wednesday. I stepped it up a couple days to avoid the holiday mail crunch. If you need to renew, please do so no later than Monday. Thanks.

Subscriber tickets to the 2014 RodMaker Reception will be in the Volume 17 #1 issue that will mail the end of January.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Volume 16 #6
Posted by: Michael Shea (---.grapevine.transact.net.au)
Date: November 21, 2013 03:09PM

Congrats Ross for getting the cover shot. Always liked your version of the redback spider!

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: November 21, 2013 03:38PM

Beautiful!

Posted by: Larry Dennis (---.server4you.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 03:41PM

Damn Tom.. rumor has it that you halted the mailing of a competitors magazine and forced them to reprint everything before it could go out. Poor way of doing business if you ask me!

Date: November 21, 2013 04:00PM

Not the least bit true. In a nutshell - They placed an article in their upcoming journal that had been published in RodMaker three months prior. I let their president know this was a copyright violation. He said they would pull it from the printer and correct it. I told him that if their journal had already been printed he could just issue an apology in a subsequent issue. I felt I was being magnanimous by not pursuing the matter any further.

To spin their lack of oversight and subsequent tardiness as my fault is absurd.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 04:13PM

I get my magazine very late in the delivery month. Will it arrive before the Expo? Hate to miss the reception.

Date: November 21, 2013 04:17PM

I always mail the pre-Expo issue about a week earlier than normal. Most get it prior to the Expo and the very few who don't are taken care of. If you're a subscriber, you'll get in to the Reception.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 05:52PM

Larry, taking a "rumor" and then adding an opinion that is based on false information is a poor way of communicating poor judgement!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2013 05:53PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Larry Dennis (---.server4you.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 06:00PM

The "rumor" came directly from their editor. But I will admit that I did not have both sides of the story. I see it in a lot different light now. Feel free to delete my original post.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 06:12PM

Tom was not responsible for the delay in publishing the competitors magazine. They could have issued an apology or just pulled the one article. As simple as that. I know, I wrote the article and submitted it to both at the same time. Since RodMaker is published every two months and the other is supposed to be published every 3 months, Tom published it first. That is all there is to it. No more @#$%& about it.

To begin with it was more of a tip than an article, and I was not sure that anyone would be interested in publishing it. As far as I can tell, there hasn't been much interested in what I wrote and I don't really understand all the hoopla over it. I just thought it might help some rod builder out there. If anyone thinks Tom is to blame for any of this, they have another think coming. Randy Ruwe

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: November 21, 2013 06:29PM

Is this the thing about turning a long rod on a short lathe bed? I tried it for kicks with a junker rod and was amazed!

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 07:09PM

Yep, that's it.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: November 22, 2013 10:43AM

It's wild! I have no idea why it works but it does. The reason I tried it with a junker first was because I thought the end would just whip and snap off. It didn't. Stayed mostly true and calm. Great tip. Thanks.

As far the antics of that little group goes, you can't go anywhere on the different rod building forums and not find one of them taking a cheap pot shot at Tom about something or the other. They're like little kids. It's been going on for years. To Tom's credit he stays out of it and just keeps making the magazine better and the ICRBE larger. I think that's what really bugs them. They have never been able to duplicate what he does. Maybe if they left Tom alone and tended to their own business they could get their magazine out on time for once.

Date: November 22, 2013 11:13AM

It’s okay. They’re not hurting me. In fact there’s a good lesson in advertising to be learned here.

Some years ago an automobile dealership owner told me about some very negative publicity his dealership had received over the weekend. He said, “We’re really going to sell some cars this week!” I found his statement confusing and told him so. He said, “Any talk is good talk, just as long as they’re talking.” He set a new sales record that week. I found it hard to believe at the time but have seen the same thing happen over and over in many similar situations. It’s true. Any talk is good talk if it keeps your name or product out there in front of people.

In the last 48 hours since they started this nonsense, I’ve had 63 new subscription orders. That’s four times the normal amount for that time period. Coincidence? No. Guys see the uproar, wonder what’s going on, go to the magazine website out of curiosity and many end up buying a subscription.

So all is well. Let’s get back to rod building topics.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.4.---)
Date: November 22, 2013 09:35PM

Ken has got it right about the antics. JEALOUSY's a curse!!!
I found Tom to be a first class guy when I met him at this years Expo. He does more for rodbuilding than anybody on the planet and a few can't handle it.
Also a big congratulations to Ross for getting an Aussie redback on the cover of Rodmaker.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2013 10:48PM

Not to change the subject much but to make sure, Tom do I check the address label to see when my renewal date is. Cant remember when its up. Damn getting old thing I guess. Don't
want to miss an issue!
Thanks!

Date: November 23, 2013 07:27AM

Look to the right of your name on the mailing label. There will be two numbers there. The first is the volume and the second is the issue number of the last issue remaining on your subscription.

Posted by: Tim Wiehe (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 24, 2013 04:45PM

Thanks Tom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster