I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Magnifying light for workbench
Posted by: Jon Kachmar (---.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 06:52PM

Hello,
My name is Jon and I have been building rods off and on for the past six years and have recently taken a keen interest in building more advanced rods. My problem is that my eyes are not what they used to be and I already use reading glasses for intricate work. I often see in photos of rod builders workshops where a desktop magnifying lamp is clamped to a workbench. I checked the local office supply stores and really think that the lights were plastic junk, So I would like to know what the pros are using?. I am willing to spend the money on a good heavy light as I will be using this for rod building as well as tying flies. I thank anyone in advance for any suggestions.

Jon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Magnifying light for workbench
Posted by: John Buzzell (---.sub-70-198-27.myvzw.com)
Date: November 19, 2013 07:00PM

Jon,

I found mine at Harbor Freight

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 07:14PM

Go to Amazon and type "Ledu L745". Very high quality optics, light, arm, etc. Been on my bench for years and wouldn't do without it.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2013 07:29PM

Daylight Slimline Magnifying Lamp - I'm lost without it.

Riley Rods-Hard Core Grips to Go!-----Carbon Fiber - Composite Grip Store-----Capt Mike's Blog-----No Excuses Fishing Charters

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 07:47PM

There are many good quality magnifying lamps out there. Some prefer them and then others prefer a headset that can be worn, even over eyeglasses. It is all a matter of personal preference.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 10:44PM

Ott Light has some options in daylight quality lamps. I've changed over to the headset after using the magnifying lamps fro many years.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 12:45AM

Years ago, I used several different lighted magnifying lights.

However, I have scrapped out all of the lights and sold them off.

Rather, I use a head band mounted magnifier, in conjunction with a very bright Halogen swing arm light to get the right amount of light in exactly the correct spot.

Also, in addition to the use of the head band mounted magnifier, it is necessary to use the right pair of single vision glasses with the magnifier to have the correct focal distance when wrapping rods.

I use the 3 power head band mounted magnifier, along with a pair of single vision glasses that have a normal focal distance of about 8 feet, which I normally use for TV viewing.
The single vision glasses are so much better to use when wrapping, even if you normally use multi vision glasses for general work.
The thing that you want when wrapping, is to be able to move your head in any position, up and down or side to side and still have perfect vision.
I absolutely hate to have to use a magnifying glass where your nose is pasted against the glass for optimum viewing.

But, with the 3X magnifier that I use which flips down about 4 inches in front of my eyes, and the single vision TV glasses, I have the perfect focal length of about 8-10 inches which is just perfect for normal seating and the height of my bench and my wrapper.

I have very good general lighting in the shop, but for the guide that I am wrapping, I use a swing arm Halogen light to put very very bright illumination, direction on the portion of the rod that I am wrapping. The light source is typically only about 4-5 inches away from the blank. As a result, the intense light really helps to insure perfect wraps.

[www.google.com]

Many many different sources for head band mounted magnifiers in all price ranges from $5 on up.

Be safe

Date: November 20, 2013 11:36AM

Jon,
By the way, if you do wear multi vision glasses and wish to have a pair of inexpensive single vision glasses for wrapping, go to your local Walmart Vision center.

You can get a pair of single vision plastic uncoated glasses in an OK frame for about $40.

That is right, $40, not $400 for the fancy designer frame glasses.

I routinely have several pair of glasses.
One pair of multi vision glasses to take care of daily use for reading and all other chores.

Then, a pair of single vision reading glasses, so that I can read a book or a newspaper without moving my head - just my eyes.

Then, a pair of single vision computer glasses, so that I can view an entire computer screen at the length from my eyes, that I use the computer screen.

Finally, a pair of single vision TV glasses, so that I can be sitting, lying or other watching tv, and have the TV sharp with no head movement as is required with multi vision glasses.

I have found that of these different glasses, that either the computer glasses with their focal length, or the TV glasses with its focal length are fine for wrapping, with a bit more focal length of about 10 inches with the TV glasses when I use the head band mounted magnifier.

I have also found that when working in the garage, on the car, or other arms length activities, that the computer glasses are a great way to go, since I can have excellent arms length focus.
Of course when needing to read reference material, I keep my readers next to the reference material, since it is easier to read with the reading glasses, than the computer glasses.

It is a slight hassle to keep track of the different glasses, but my work is many times more efficient, because I have the correct set of specs, to do the job most effectively, with my head held in its normal position, without having to tilt my head to the sky to be able to vies the few lines that are in focus with the typical multi vision or similar glasses.

If you have multi vision glasses, like variable view lens, or bifocals, or trifocals, you might try the addition of a few pairs of single vision glasses be kept close to dedicated tasks to ease your fatigue and increase your work efficiency.

Now, especially for close up detail work like wrapping, do not discount the need for a very very very bright light in the area that is being wrapped. You still need good general overall shop light, but it is also very important that you have nice intense directed task light to give perfect illumination of the wrap and the detail of the task at hand.

Be safe

Date: November 20, 2013 11:42AM

A few examples of a Halogen desk light with a small reflector to give great illumination, without getting in the way of vision.

[www.google.com]

Examples of LED desk lamps with very small reflectors, and cool and efficient LED bulbs to nicely light your wraps as well:

[www.google.com]

If you use a goose neck or swing arm light, you will likely need to place the light on a stand, so that the base of the light is at the same height as the rotating rod. This height gives the best range of movement and adjust ability to the light itself.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 12:10PM

I use a set of "Giraff Light" and magnifier for both fly tying and rod building, primarily the wrapping task. Each is on aflexible gooseneck that can be positioned wherever it is needed. One big advantage of this set up is, the magnifier can be swung out of the way when not needed and the light stays in place.

Date: November 20, 2013 03:35PM

In the same vein, a head band magnifier can also be lifted up and out of the way when not needed.

Be safe

Posted by: Jon Kachmar (---.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 06:24PM

WoW, lots of GREAT info guys. I am heading to Walmart tomorrow and check out the single vision glasses. I think I am still going to get a magnifying lamp too as I already ordered the Ledo L745 from Amazon and will probably use it to tie flys. I found some halogen desk lights at my local office supplies store and will most likely go with that. Now I need to decide on a pair of head mounted magnifiers, I never would have thought of giving these a try. Thank you for ALL the responses, now maybe my wraps will look like they should LoL.

Thanks again guys,
Jon

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 07:35PM

Years ago, I asked my dentist where I could get one of the lamps that they use to focus light in your mouth. New they are extremely expensive, but he directed me to a local source that bought used ones from Dentists that were upgrading.
That source was local, and I bought a good one for not two much, as well as some dental picks, etc. This light is still working great after over 25 Years of use. You might check with your dentist to see if he knows of a source for this type of light.
Used dental equipement is bought or donated and then sent to third world countries. A local outlet for this can sometimes be found easily.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2013 08:08PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Date: November 20, 2013 10:47PM

Randy,

On that same vein, I once asked my dentist the price of the very small very excellent magnifiers that he used for his dental work.

He said that his cost was about $500.

But, considering that it would be impossible to do his work without them, it is just part of the cost of doing business.

IN contrast to the single lens head band mounted magnifier, the dentist high quality optical have multiple lens for each eye. This allows the dentist to specify the focal length for each eye, ,so that they are tailored exactly for his particular vision.

Be safe

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2013 10:20AM

You might try a search for Jeweler Loupe in one of the @#$%& sites. You'll find them in many styles from clip on to LED lighted & from 3x to 20x magnification.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster