I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tarpon Rod Question
Posted by: Ron Zunic (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2013 04:25PM

I will be building an 8ft. 1 piece heavy Tarpon Rod for the first time. The blank is rated at 30-60 lb. class using 50 lb. braided line. I would like to use the new K-series tangle free guides from Fuji. My concern is, must I use double footed guides or can I get away with single foot guides. I will be using the guide concept method with all the same size running guides. The reel I am using is a Van Staal 250 series. Also are underwraps necessary. Any help would be great.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tarpon Rod Question
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 04:50PM

Hello Ron.

I stop using single foot guides at 30#, there some who have told me that they have used sf's on 50# and got away with it, but with my luck they would fold like a cheep kite in a hurricane so I won't go over 30# on sf's.

Good Luck.
Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 04:53PM

use the two foot guides
That rod will take a lot a abuse

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 05:14PM

As far as strength while fishing....I think single foots will get the job done. Most of the guides only carry a couple/few pound each, even with those drag settings. But like Bill said, a tarpon rod can be subject to abuse. A big one is capable of causing things to happen....and is enough of a trophy to not want your rod to coast you the fish.

If it was me I'd "think" about single foot guides for the runners.....but I wouldn't "not think about" double foot guides for the runners. A lot would depend on circumstances. Way different to have a rod in a holder, or your hand, than leaning against a concrete bridge railing, when a fish strikes.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: ridge orjalesa (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 05:38PM

why is it not strong enough for tarpon ?
you beat the fish wiith the rod?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 19, 2013 06:35PM

Absolutely double footed guides. The frame weight difference is miniscule in respect to the total finished rod weight. No need for underwraps. Just use C or D sized thread and you are done. I recommend 10mm running guides and tip.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 20, 2013 09:25AM

The stripper and possibly the next guide down are tall enough to be "at risk" for a bump here and there. Consider KW double foots for the first two..or maybe even three before going to single foot KL's and/or KT's. I don't think fighting fish is the issue here, and all forces on the guides will be away from the blank...they won't want to "fold". I would look at the new KB6 as a possibility for runners all the way out since weight is not critical. The extra large foot could be beneficial. And I might add one guide to the layout. Using KW and KB, you will be capitalizing on the strongest guides in the K-Series selection.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 20, 2013 09:30AM

I am also working on a tarpon rod right now putting on double foot ATC Virtus Lite Guides... solid titanium, quad leg...check them out.

Date: November 20, 2013 09:56AM

Jim

Got a picture of those KB6 guides Not on your site ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 20, 2013 10:35AM

Bill: We are trying to finish up the catalog and then we will mirror the web site. These items were introduced earlier in the year...Mudhole has them as well as the 7 new sizes of the KL-H. They are not "featured" as new from Fuji, they just rolled them into the regular inventory so you have to look for them a little.

Date: November 20, 2013 01:05PM

Thanks Jim
I think you are talking about the Belly guides with the heavy frame which go up to a size 6 ring
Wish they had larger rings Save some time wrapping with heavy spiral wrapped rods as 180 runners

Unless MudHole does not have them up on there site yet

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2013 01:22PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: November 20, 2013 02:02PM

Double foot.

Date: November 20, 2013 02:29PM

But
On heavy rods the belly guides have a nice hefty frame which may hold up better And only one wrap But most rings on heavy stuff ya need about a 10 or 12 ring The feet can be grounded down to fit smaller tips

Don't know about being abused ???

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2013 02:37PM by bill boettcher.

Date: November 21, 2013 09:48AM

The size 6 KB moved the entire KR Concept out of the micro realm and opened up a million possibilities for conventional builds using high-frame, small-ring strippers (if you're sold on the need for "belly" guides)...but they didn't go "all the way" to heavy salt. For now, the KB6 is the largest. KB's all the way to the tip is an idea immediately adopted by heavy rod builders (i.e. swimbait rods and A-Rig rods) because it pretty much eliminates pull-out problems on heavy rods.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: November 21, 2013 11:25AM

Jim,

Are there any plans to have a KB 7 or KB 8 for those of use who need to pass larger splices or small swivels? If so, when do you think they might be available?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 02:35PM

For those encouraging single foot guides in this scenario ...

You are talking about a rod/reel combo that will likely weigh in around 30-32 ounces. The difference in weight between single and double footed running guides is such a small fraction of the total combo weight. The difference in strength and durability between those same two frame styles isn't.

Tarpon aren't small fish, they pull like a freight train. More than once, I have had to grab someone's belt to keep them from flying over the railing.

Plain and simple, it makes no sense at all to use single footed guides on a tarpon rod, none.

Date: November 21, 2013 03:09PM

Jim
You are on the money
I was just thinking of Blackfish and the like
Lazy and if with a heafty frame and one guide wrap

But Of course i will stay with double foot -- Unless they come out with a larger ringe size - 10/12 ??? They do look like the frame is Heafty

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: November 24, 2013 12:04PM

You will not like the end results if you run swivels through your ceramic guides.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster