I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

8 axis chevrons
Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 17, 2013 02:34PM

Ok all you rod wrapping gurus,
I have a question I need to ask ,
and my question is, when I lay my first
thread down for my 8 axis do I lay it down on all
8 axis or do I do my 4 axis first, and then come back
and do the rest of the axis after I finish the first 4 axis
with all the threads..
Thanks
Glen

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 8 axis chevrons
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2013 07:36PM

You can do it either way, but the points where the different axis threads cross will appear different. You can get a mental picture of this by just doing a short, quick practice wrap both ways. If you do it the former way, you get pattern centers on all axis including the crossing points. If you do it the latter way, the others are just overlays,

Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 21, 2013 12:08AM

Thanks Tom,
I will try it and practice at it.
I have a couple of fisherman that want 8 axis
chevrons and I have never tried doing it, so `this will be my
first attempt at it..

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: November 21, 2013 09:19AM

Basically, if you wrap on all 8 axis at the same time, you will have a uniform look all around the blank as you turn it.

If you wrap four then four, the pattern will not look uniform all around the blank; the last four wrapped chevrons with their visible connecting threads will look more significant than the first four chevrons. This will give the effect of alternating major and minor chevrons. This might require a bit more layout planning so you end up with a balanced finished wrap. For instance, it probably would look better to have the first and last visible chevron on the 0 axis be the same (both being either a major or minor chevron) instead of one being a major and one being a minor. With all 8 axis being wrapped at once there are no minor chevrons so layout is simplified; you can start both your tie off wraps on any chevron instead of having to start on a matched pair of chevrons.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster