I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fixing broken rod
Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 09:17AM

I have a Shikari rod I built a few years ago and broke the tip section about 2' from the tip. I would like to fix it by putting a ferrule at the break. The blank is about 4mm at the break. Is this something that should work and any ideas where to get a ferrule that size?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fixing broken rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 14, 2013 09:26AM

You won't like it. Will add too much weight too far out.

Use the repair article in the library here to fix is nearly good as new. That's a much better option and one that will keep the rod serviceable for a long time.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.186.---)
Date: November 14, 2013 09:36AM

I'm not a big builder (or repairer) but I've gone 3 for 3 with what Tom recommends, and you probably will not notice it when fishing. One detail that's easy to miss is that the sleeves should be a lower modulus than the rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 11:47AM

Herb,
I would first of all NOT trim any part of the breaks. Rather, refit the rod blanks so that the jagged edges line up to give you more gluing area.
Then, find a piece of rod blank that will make a nicely sized thin wall over sleeve, overlapping any part of the break on either side by at least 2 inches.
Then, find a piece of music wire that is a nice fit on the inside of the blank.
For smaller tip areas, I much prefer the use of music wire because it does not break, is reasonably light, and really does not add to the rod stiffness much. If the break is on a larger part of the blank, I prefer to use hollow fiberglass for the inner tube for both lighter weight as well as better flexibility than if the inner sleeve were graphite. Again, if you are repairing a larger part of the blank, it is nice to use thin wall fiberglass as well, to avoid killing too much of the rod action.

Once you have the wire, and the over sleeve fitted for a nice fit, mix up a batch of 5 minute epoxy and glue on the inner filler wire, the over sleeve, and the two broken rod pieces into a completed assembly that is correctly aligned. i.e. all of the jagged pieces of the blank keyed to gather to get the correct alignment and strength.

After drying, do an over wrap of at least 3/8th of an inch on each end of the outer over sleeve to prevent any possible splitting. Coat the wraps and you will be good to go. With materials on hand, the entire repair, except for drying time should take about 30 minutes.

Be safe

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 14, 2013 12:33PM

Another vote for Ralph O'Quinn's article in the library. I respectfully disagree with Roger on the wire.

Date: November 14, 2013 01:13PM

I wouldn't have any idea what the wire is supposed to accomplish.

Date: November 14, 2013 02:32PM

The wire does identically the same job as a graphite or fiberglass inner sleeve. The difference is that for fine tips, most graphite and fiberglass is too large to fit inside the tip, and if it does fit inside the tip, it stiffens a soft tip too much.

Give it a try - it works.

Be safe

Date: November 14, 2013 02:37PM

Leaving the wire out will work just as well.

Date: November 14, 2013 02:55PM

Mr. Kirkman,
Sorry to disagree.
I have tried it both ways, and have had repair failures without an inner sleeve for the small tip repairs.

Be safe

Date: November 14, 2013 03:50PM

I've not had a failure and have never put wire inside a rod, nor any sort of internal plug, even within a few inches of the tip. I guess Herb can take the advice here and decide for himself. Either way, I'd repair it rather than install a ferrule.

Date: November 14, 2013 06:08PM

That is good.
I have also never had a failure with a rod repair, as long as I use an internal piece of blank, or wire if very small diamter.

One note, for the sake of appearance, I always try to use as thin a piece of blank as possible for the outer sleeve. This means that for some sleeve's, I might reduce the wall thickness by 1/2 to 2/3rd. The result, is that along with the internal piece of blank, I have a repair that leaves a very clean appearance, and with no failures.

However, I did have a couple of failures when using very thin outside sleeves and no inside sleeve.

Perhaps, that is the difference between my repairs, compared to yours, Mr. Kirkman.

But, in any event, the repair that you use, works.
The repairs that I use now, also work very well.

At the end of the day, the customer ends up happy with a useful functioning rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 06:26PM

Thanks for the help. I wiil fix rather than add a ferrule.

Herb

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 07:39PM

"...broke the tip section about 2' from the tip."

That would be a hefty chuck of music wire. The OD of the blank at the break is 4mm.

Date: November 14, 2013 09:04PM

Chuck,
Yes, but that means that the ID of the blank is about 1.5 mm. This equals .059 inches.

1/16th inch = .0625 inches.

7/128th of an inch = .053 inches.

So, no Chuck, the id of the blank is really only suitable for a 1/32 inch piece of wire or similar.

Be safe.

Remember, I am only talking about using wire for very fine tipped rods with breaks near the tip using a very thin outer sleeve for appearance.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2013 09:52AM

With tip repairs, it is important to reduce the size of the sleeve, or use thin fiberglass material. I typically sand the sleeve after gluing to reduce the diameter as much as I can prior to over wrapping with size A thread. This is all explained pretty well in the library article on rod repair and it's never let me down.

The idea is to retain the long fibers in the sleeve and use the thread as hoop strength to hold it all together. If the long fibers are removed by sanding, then there is opportunity for failure. It all takes a little practice but if the sleeve is constructed properly, not sure the wire is needed.

Terry

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 16, 2013 11:36AM

I have probably 50 + repairs working on the water without a failure. These repairs could be anywhere from butt to tip and none have failed when following Mr. O'quinn's repair procedure to the letter. Wouldn't even consider using a piece of wire inside the blank.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster