I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cleaning a blank
Posted by: Frank MacDonald (---.home1.cgocable.net)
Date: November 13, 2013 04:03PM

I was given an old 70's Eagle Claw rod to clean up and put new guides and tip on. The rod was the guys fathers and he would like like to bring it back to look clean. There is a lot of black marks on it that I just can't get off. I have been using alcohol with not a great deal of luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. It is brownish gold blank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cleaning a blank
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: November 13, 2013 04:49PM

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Worth a try! I have found these things to do some remarkable stuff.

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 13, 2013 06:57PM

Frank

I did one of these rods this summer. It was the yellow fiberglass rod and I was asked to clean up and put new guides on it. What I believe you have here is mildew and I got it off using Soft Scrub rubbed in gently.

I have posted some pictures in the photo gallery (although in reverse order) and I can't figure out how to change it. But if this is what you have it came out very good,

Also, if the guide wraps look like these I wrapped them using Pro Wrap 213 Clay and it was a great match up.

Tom
Bel Air Md.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 06:50AM

Frank,
Go outside with a good cross wind blowing and use acetone liberally to clean up the rod.

The acetone will take care of these issues in a heart beat. Wear rubber gloves and be sure that you have good cross wind blowing to prevent inhaling any acetone fumes.

Also Xylene works well for this as well. Again, be sure to use Xylene outside with a good cross wind and wear rubber gloves to prevent absorbing any chemicals through your skin.

Then, liberally apply Simple Green cleaner with a sponge and scrub with a tooth brush. Simple green - which has been around for many many years is really an excellent cleaner that works very well.

If you have a need to clean a handle, again Simple green, hot water and a tooth brush is normally all that is ever required.

Good luck

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 14, 2013 11:35AM

I have to agree with James, the Mr. Clean erasers are amazing. I use them regularly on my boat deck to remove marks that won't come off otherwise. Be careful with the Acetone on older glass blanks as the resin system may not tolerate that very well.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Frank MacDonald (---.home1.cgocable.net)
Date: November 14, 2013 11:43AM

Tom Thats the rod I was given will try your suggestion hope it works if not I will try Rogers way.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 16, 2013 11:48AM

Frank; after you are satisfied with the cleaning job and the guide wraps are finished and dried , use Lemon Pledge sprayed on to a soft cloth, wipe down the rod and buff it with another soft clean cloth. She will look brand new. BTW , I cut up worn out "T" shirts into 6 or 8 inch squares just for polishing rods.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster