I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tips on home-printed decals
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.186.---)
Date: November 13, 2013 02:42PM

A couple months ago I posted about problems with my new Canon printer, its inability to print high resolution images/text onto Papilio's white waterproof matte inkjet media, my favorite for rod decals. It appeared that the ink from the new printer was so thin it wicked onto the paper before it dried, leaving a "soft" edge. I had used Papilio's white waterproof gloss media before, but it was borderline too thick. I'm glad to report I just received Papilio's Inkjet Glossy White Waterproof Vinyl, item # GWVF8511G, and it works with my printer very well, yielding bright, high res images. What's more, it is only 2 mils thick which makes it very easy to apply to the rod, and it has what appears to be zero memory which means it doesn't tend to come loose from the rod like the stiffer medias do.

There are a couple tips that should come in handy if your experience is anything like mine. First, since it is so thin, and has a really thin backing, it may be too flimsy for your printer to feed properly. With my printer I have to tape it (along the leading edge) to a relatively stiff sheet of photo paper to give it enough body to feed properly. Use the glossy photo paper printer settings, coat it after drying with a fixative (matte, gloss, doesn't matter, just get the clear fast drying stuff - Papilio offers theirs which I know works well)

I am not sure it is still necessary, but until I do some experiments, I'm going to put a light application of CP around the decals to prevent the epoxy from attacking the edge.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tips on home-printed decals
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 13, 2013 03:35PM

That's good news Michael. I've tried the older version of the paper and wasn't totally pleased with the results either.

I want to pass along a tip to help your paper go further.

1) Set your printer to draft mode and regular paper.
2) Print the image on the regular paper.
3) Now cut a piece of vinyl paper that is 1/2" larger on each side than the image you just printed on regular paper.
4) Place the your vinyl paper over the image you just printed and tape down the edges with masking tape. The blue painters tape works great. Really press the tape down securely so the tape doesn't interfere with the printer's print heads.
5) Set your printer to whatever settings are needed for the vinyl paper.
6) Feed the regular paper with the vinyl paper taped to it back into the printer.
7) The printer should print the image on the exact same location but now it'll be on the vinyl paper.

I'll have to give the new vinyl a try.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 13, 2013 04:07PM

Thanks for the tip! I gave up on small text with the matte waterproof paper and my Canon. I could never get a sharp print. Hopefully a sponsor or two is stocking this new stuff?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2013 12:34PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 13, 2013 06:00PM

have you tried to contact Decal Connection

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.186.---)
Date: November 13, 2013 07:09PM

Bill, I've dealt with Decal Connection and they were very good at what they do. But I'm a hobby builder with almost every label specific. It is tough to justify the set-up fees for one of a kind decals. Some of my decals are what Don Morse calls "tatoos", with photo images, specific graphics for charities, etc. There is no doubt that Decal Connection can do things I cannot, like metallics, bright clear decals, and some other things. They definitely have their strengths.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster