I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy, solvents and ventilation
Posted by: Bryon Anderson (---.ssa.gov)
Date: November 12, 2013 11:31AM

I am getting ready to relocate my rod building bench to a different room, and this has given rise in my mind to some questions about adequate ventilation. I have done some searching in the archives of this board, and have found some discussions of the dangers of epoxy and solvent fumes in which several people mentioned using "adequate ventilation" but exactly what they were using was not explained. I'd like to describe my situation and my idea for ventilation and get some feedback from some of you who have more experience with this about how it might (or might not) work.

Until now, I have been using my fly tying bench for rod building. I don't build a lot of rods - basically just for my own use, and doing repairs and the occasional rod for friends and relatives. My current bench is in my finished basement. There is a small window above the bench, and when I am using epoxy or solvents, I just crack this window and this seems to keep the area pretty clean of fumes.

The new workspace is a much smaller room in the basement. I haven't measured it, but I'd guess it's maybe 5' x 10'. I am setting up a separate rod building bench in there because I want a dedicated area for doing rods, and also because, unlike the larger area of the whole basement, I can heat this smaller space to a temperature that is conducive to working with epoxy thread finishes with a small space heater. This room has a single door leading in from the basement proper. It doesn't have a window leading directly outside, but does have a window-like opening in one wall which leads to a large crawlspace under the main house. If I were to set up, say, a box fan in that opening with the fan drawing air out of the room and into the crawlspace (while simultaneously drawing air in through the door), would that be adequate to protect me from epoxy and solvent fumes? The window with the fan would be just above my head level when I'm seated at my bench, and about 2-4 feet to my left.

I know that there are devices designed specifically to extract fumes, but they are mostly made for commercial/industrial use and even the "tabletop" models are quite expensive. I'm hoping to avoid that kind of expense.

Any feedback and/or ideas would be most helpful. Thanks-

Bryon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy, solvents and ventilation
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 12, 2013 11:53AM

Epoxy isn't going to be much of a problem as nothing is outgassed from it. Most have a very mild odor/aroma from the hardner. That's about it.

Now products such as Permagloss are a different story. I don't think you'll be overcome, but it's a good idea to be able to move air through the room. I'd think you'd want to set or affix a fan to the open or crakcked window so you can pull the fumes out. This will work best if you crack another window somewhere else in the house to allow fresh air to be pulled in.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: November 12, 2013 02:54PM

Really depends what you mean by "solvents". You are working in a small space. Something like acetone and a box fan could end up creating an explosion.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2013 03:07PM

Byron,
Great idea to use the box fan in the opening to draw air out of the room, and bring in fresh air from the basement.

It will work fine.

But, if you do decide to use something like acetone, or Xylene, don't use it in the house.

Rather take the solvent and the items you are cleaning and do it out of doors in a cross wind. That way, the solvent fumes will not get to your nose and skin and into your body.

Be safe

Posted by: Bryon Anderson (---.ssa.gov)
Date: November 12, 2013 03:20PM

Thank you for your replies Tom, Russ and Roger. Russ, to answer your question, the only products I use right now that might present a problem are epoxy and laquer thinner. I'm almost afraid to ask, but how could acetone and a box fan create an explosion? Would this be a danger with the laquer thinner as well?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 12, 2013 05:15PM

Bryon, most (organic) )solvents are highly flammable. For fire to occur three things conditions must exsist. One, the proper concentration of vapor would need to be in the flammable range. Two, you need an oxidizer (oxygen is one). Three, you need a source of ignition. Your box fan could be a source of ignition (even static electricity can be).

Laquer thinner is pretty bad stuff on a number of fronts. Unlike some other solvents it is a blend of several solvents and many cost cutting measures are used so it is hard to know just what you are dealing with. Personally I don't see the need for it in rod building. If you do, then I suggest you follow Roger's advise and use it outside only.

I'm not trying to preach or scare, just want you to be safe. Bottom line, enough laquer thinner vapors,,,,in a small enough and warm enough room,,,,with a space heater and a fan going....could equal very bad news.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: chip burdick (---.61.130.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 28, 2013 09:02AM

Just an idea. For the intake side (door) I recommend a paper furnace filter to filter the air coming in to keep dust down. Kind of like a paint booth for automotive. Just a thought.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster