I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Comparison of Hotshot Blanks?
Posted by: Craig Clements (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 10, 2013 03:28PM

Hello,

I've heard a lot about the versatility of hot shot blanks. I fish as a nonboater, so was thinking of trying to build a couple, hoping I could use it for Senkos, light jigs, small poppers and squarebills, drop shot etc. I know it probably wouldn't be the best at any of this, but hopefully will be adequate. I've decided the Rainshadow Hs9001 for one. The second I'm trying to decide whether to just do another HS9001. Or if the MHX HS981 with 3" removed from the butt) would be better as a second option. Has anyone handled both? I'm thinking he MHX might do better with the shakey/dropshot part as it is rated down to 1/8 oz., but would I be giving up on casting light plugs? I'm not sure if they are very different or very similar as It's comparing across brands so ratings may vary?

Thanks,

Craig
Dover, Florida

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comparison of Hotshot Blanks?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 10, 2013 08:02PM

I have two. One is the lighest power made, the hs9000 (called sj9000 by mhx) and the other is a rainshadow hs1023f. I have caught quite a few peacock, largemouth, and assorted panfish from shore with the hs9000 (don't know if you have oscars and mayan cichlids but they are tough fish). I don't use the other one in freshwater.

The hotshot blanks have very limber tips so they can cast as well as an ultra light. They have an ultra fast lockup. Once you get past the tip the rest of the rod is much harder to bend. It makes it very easy to break light lines and you need to learn not to overact on crank baits and such. The light tip wouldn't be any good for fishing a texas rigged worm. I think they are great for live bait and fine with a bobber too. They should be good for dropshot with a small amount of weight and probably okay for shakey head. I haven't tried any of that style of fishing so can't promise anything.

They wouldn't be my choice around heavy cover. The tip is light enough that you can't always keep a fish out of the cover. However the butt is strong enough that I have always gotten them out of it. With my rod I could fish as light as 4# mono....and cast anything suitable for bluegill and crappie. I typically fish 6# mono on it but sometimes use 10# braid. That is more in line with what I think the average guy would choose and what I use in salt water.

I would say give the hs9000 a try. For bass the hotshot blank is always going to be a finesse rod so no point in going with the stronger blank. To put things in perspective some guyide reported his client catching a 60# cobia on a hs9000 and it has long been a favorite for bonefish and smaller permit on the flats.

The hs901 seems more powerful and IMHO would be best suited for casting 1/4-3/8 jigs for larger spanish macks and jacks....or tossing live pilchards to small/moderate dolphin.

BTW, if you don't have one, you might consider a light power popping rod as it sounds perfect for your moving lure applications.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Adam Brown (---.uncg.edu)
Date: November 11, 2013 10:35AM

Follow up question from a different reader:
Since this thread is on the topic of hot shot blanks and shore fishing, I have been thinking about building a rod for shore fishing pickerel, bass and trout in cool water lakes, designed primarily for maximum distance in casting light wobble spoons and small floater/diver balsa wood plugs, occasionally medium sized top waters after dark. I have been eyeing the MHX HS9600-2 hot shot blank for this, maby with a slight extension made by constructing the handle on a separate piece of scrap blank and adding a ferule to the but of the blank to attach it and make it a 3 piece. Does anybody having experience with this blank know how it would perform under the above conditions? Second question, my wife is fond of the green American Tackle Matrix series, how would their steelhead blanks perform under the same conditions? Hopefully this will yield information of interest to the first poster as well!

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2013 11:33AM

Craig,
I would also recommend a HM-P903-MHX for the applications you specified. Faster more sensitive tip than the HS models.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster