I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

marble whole rod?
Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 09, 2013 10:04PM

Hi guys
just wondering can you marble the entire length of a fishing rod? Or would this crack when bent? I know it would add weight but would it also make the rod too rigid?
Thanks in advance for all replies
Andi Robb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: marble whole rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 10, 2013 07:21AM

It will soften, not stiffen the rod. Whether or not it will crack will depend on the paint/finishing you use.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2013 09:01AM

Sounds like a great idea if you want to make a rod to hang on the rod for a piece of art.

For a fishing rod to be used - maybe not so much .

Be safe

Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh2.cm.dyn.comporium.net)
Date: November 11, 2013 07:14PM

I've done it on several pier kingfishing rods, hasnt come back yet. Built them 5 years ago

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 12, 2013 11:20AM

Wes,
I have seen a few rods done ,I would like to try to build one, but have no clue how to do it,can you tell me how to do one or tell me where I can get info to learn how?

Thank You for help

Richard Curry

Nokomis FLA

Just moved from Maysville GA. I love it here,SUN SALTWATER and fishing all I can get.

What is life without fishing ?

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.direcpc.com)
Date: November 13, 2013 06:29AM

Richard,
Welcome to the West coast of Paradise. I am in Englewood, about 30 min. south (in the summer) 45 min. in the winter.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack just a callout to a new Local.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: Wes Christy (---.rh2.cm.dyn.comporium.net)
Date: November 13, 2013 07:17PM

I did it in sections, always overlapping the last section.

so start at the grip work to first guide, do the guide and overlap towards grip. then to next guide etc. you will have to stop periodically to make sure u have enough epoxy for the whole thing, most of them took a couple of 8 hour sessions to complete and insure all the epoxy was connected with the rest. just make sure to do one final coat all at once, after you have done all the marbling, one solid coat all the way down, i.e. requires a lot of epoxy

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2013 09:17PM

HI Jim,

Thank's for the welcome , Love it down here,SUN, SAND,SALT AIR and lets not forget all the SNOW -BIRDS
love them,.

Where do you live? Email me at papacurry@gmail.com,

Lets talk, rod building or what ever you want.

I looked at your profile here , sent you a email , it came back " failure " so I'LL try here

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster