I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread color, cork for Aero, and Tennessee handle.
Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2013 04:03PM

What do I have?

The older 2010 model St. Croix SC5 Blanks.
#1) 5S70MLF-G-10……….STC SC5 Spinning Blank 7' 1pc. 4-10# B0.465 T4 – Green
#2) 5S70MF-G-10…………STC SC5 Spinning Blank 7' 1pc. 6-12# B0.465 T4.5 – Green

What do I know?

I am a pond fisherman from the banks only for L/M Bass & Blue Gills. The part about fishing I love is the homework of where, when and why I cast to a certain spot from a certain position. Catching is just the confirmation of my homework, not size or quantity of fish. What I want most from my rods is distance to reach banks on other side of ponds or 45° from my position to the bank on my left or right side or just that extra 10 or 15 feet out there. Rod #1 will use both 10# & 15# braid and rod #2 will only use 15# braid because that’s what works for me. I am looking to build two “sleeper” rods where any fisherman will look at it and see no “bling” of any kind and keep walking, but someone in the know will see the rod and say “hey at least this guy did his homework”.

On rod #1 I will use both a 1000 and 2500 series reel so I am going to use the MW guides and the Aero reel seat all black (sleeper rod). I feel this setup allows me ease of changing reels and is most flexible to using two different size reels and still get the best casting distance my rod can achieve. Distance and accuracy are my priorities, balance is second to them.

On rod #2 I will only be using a 2500 series reel so I am going to use the Fuji K series guides with a cork Tennessee handle.

I selected these two different styles because I feel I will get the best bang for my buck in educating myself in rod building even though I will probably only build for myself.

What is my major malfunction?

#1) What color A thread do I need to order to make it look like it is part of the rod (no bling). I don’t care if thread needs CP or not because my priority is a “sleeper” rod.

#2) Do I have to get split grip kit to fit cork to the Aero reel seat? I prefer all cork but if the answer is yes that’s ok as I have one rod that is split cork now. I do not want to bring out my lathe and wood working tools for my first two builds. I want to buy what fits properly and learn from there.

#3) I am having a very tough time trying to pick the correct Tennessee handle length and quality understanding the fact I limit myself by not want to turn my own cork. I also would like to know where to place the reel stem at the best distance from the butt of the rod for distance. What “feels” right to me is secondary on the priority list.

#4) I need help in selecting the winding checks that will best fit my set-up to show I did my homework. If anyone would like to suggest I should speak to a certain person/vendor my email is viewable so nobody’s feelings are hurt.

Sorry it this is TMI as I was just trying to cover all the bases. I have bought Mr. K's book and used the search button and Google search first to get this far in my decision making and now need help. I also did not post these questions until I had the funds to buy all so I am not asking these questions just for my information.

Thank you.
Mike Q.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread color, cork for Aero, and Tennessee handle.
Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2013 06:32PM

I've used a forest green nylon w/o CP and it blended pretty well with the St Croix green. Wet the spool with some DNA to see approx. what the finished color will be. I put a carbon fiber tube Tennessee grip on a ML drop shot rod and it worked out really well. A 12" grip on a 7footer should be about right unless you want some fore grip. The Aero seat will take a straight full grip. When you order the seat the supplier can help fit the grip.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 09, 2013 08:39PM

If you buy 17 mm Aero seats any standard OD cork grip you see in the catalogs will fit, the standard 1 inch OD graphite grip will also fit. I haven't used the 16mm seat since they made the 17, I think they are more comfortable in my hand, and my hands are small.
I use a 9 inch rear grip on your length rods.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2013 09:08AM

For the rod with the Tennessee handle, I would suggest a total handle length of 14 inches.

This is the length handle that I use for the rods of this length using this style grip.

For the Aero seat, I would use only the butt grip and no fore grip. Just use a single cork ring for the first part of the reel arbor inside the reel seat and finish the cork off flush with the front of the reel seat. No fore grip needed.
With the Aero seat and the 7' rod, I would use either the solid grip that is 9 or 10 inches long, or a split grip that builds up to 9 or 10 inches for the appropriate rod balance.

Also, as previously suggested the standard nylon forest green makes a very nice finish. However, with this wrap, I would do a butt wrap with a couple contrasting rings of kelly metalic green and metallic gold. Not much bling, but just enough to make it interesting.

Be safe

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2013 10:54AM

Ok, Thank you for the help guys. I will start placing orders with Mud Hole Wed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster