I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

feather inlay
Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 12:05AM

Hi guys tried searching for the answer to this with no luck so sorry if its been asked before.
How do I go about making a feather inlay on a rod?
Do I just hold the feather there and epoxy over it?
Thanks guys for all answers
Andi Robb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: feather inlay
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 05, 2013 01:20AM

Use color preserver as a glue to lay the feathers in place, let dry for 24 hours and epoxy over.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 02:06AM

Hello Andi.

I do the same as Don.

Tight Wraps & Purrrrrddeee Feathers.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 09:27AM

Yup, CP is required. If you use multiple feathers, you'll need to keep it wet, or attach in layers for the desired effect.

Another tip you'll learn soon is that dark blanks hide the feather features, so you might consider an under wrap with a light colored NCP thread first.

Terry

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.186.---)
Date: November 05, 2013 10:54AM

Practice, practice, practice. I do only one layer at a time, letting the cp dry before putting on another wet coat and another layer of feathers. It will take several coats of epoxy to adequately cover a complex feather inlay, if yours are anything like mine.

There are a lot of entries on this forum so try a search. Some guys wash their feathers before using them, but I have enough trouble keeping them in good shape without subjecting them to another step, and with mulitple coats of epoxy, I've not had a problem.

I find the best background for feather inlays is a light colored ramp made from foam seat shims or Riley's carbon fiber foam.

[clients.criticalimpact.com]

Posted by: Frank MacDonald (---.home1.cgocable.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 11:40AM

Quick question can a feather inlay be done on a rod blank???

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 05, 2013 11:58AM

Yes...... I prefer to put mine over a thread wrap but have done many directly on the blank.

Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 02:17PM

I did quite a bit of research before I tried for the first time. What I have come up with and what has worked is;
- pick your feathers - lay them out and get the configuration you desire
- dip in DNA and let dry - this will help remove any oils in the feathers to prevent problems with epoxy - necessary, not sure sine I have only done it that way - you may loose some color with dyed feathers - let dry, will only take a few minutes
- dip in CP and lay on the blank - I have layered feathers at once and is fine - I have problems with getting the feathers to lay correct and natural sometimes, so putting them on in layers my be a good idea
- note - when your layer feathers you will get a bump towards the bottom where the stem is thicker - it will not look like much but when you put finish on it seems to make it more pronounced
- let dry and then I take a Q-tip and DNA to clean the CP from around the feathers
- when you apply finish be careful not to brush to much and disturb the feathers - just get it on thick and let it sag and pull off the excess

As mentioned practice on an old blank or some cheap blanks. it is not really that hard just takes a few to get it down. Have fun they look great and you can do endless combinations.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2013 09:35AM

I do exactly as Steve mentions and have not had any hiccups. Don't rush and try to layer the feathers. I usually wait 15-30 min before adding the next feather to help minimize any movement. I have had good success with Cason's color preserver but think any will work. Use your brush to help get the fibers to lie properly by gently pulling toward the tip once on the blank. Make sure to hold onto the stem with something.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.static.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 06, 2013 12:25PM

Lay the feather upside down on a piece of paper. LIGHTLY spray with workable fixative. Stick on rod blank....repeat as necessary. When you have them all on hit it with Cp. Let dry and finish. If you want to use duck feathers or any other feathers that may be a little oily then spray with matte clear instead of CP. Light coats work best. I tried CP for years. I like this better.

my .02

Vic

Posted by: Steve Wright (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2013 01:04PM

Victor Heal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lay the feather upside down on a piece of paper.
> LIGHTLY spray with workable fixative. Stick on rod
> blank....repeat as necessary. When you have them
> all on hit it with Cp. Let dry and finish. If you
> want to use duck feathers or any other feathers
> that may be a little oily then spray with matte
> clear instead of CP. Light coats work best. I
> tried CP for years. I like this better.
>
> my .02
>
> Vic

That is interesting, I might have to give that a try.

Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.sub-70-211-67.myvzw.com)
Date: November 06, 2013 04:41PM

I now use Permagloss. I noticed that on a dark blank in just the right light I had a shadow on the blank where I applied CP. In that case I put the feathers directly on a glossy blank. No such such problem with Permagloss. As discussed on this board many times, I keep the Permagloss in a sealed small tin can and extract it from a small hole near the bottom of the can. The hole is sealed with a sheet metal screw when not in use. The PG lasts a long, long time.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 06, 2013 04:47PM

Ya
But
You can play with CP the water based You can dip the brush in water and sofften CP in order to move the feathers
With permagloss that dries Really fast -- you are not going to do anything with it once set up
It is on and if you don't like it Too bad

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2013 06:40PM

I suggest that Perma Gloss is not for beginners, it just sets up too fast and doesn't allow for repositioning the feathers, especially bad if doing layers. The advantage of water based CP is the time it allows for working the feather layout.

Posted by: Wayne Hofer (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2013 10:07PM

I seem to have plenty of time to position my feathers. If i am doing multiple feather layers, I may have to wait for it to dry between layers.

I used CP for years, then one day saw the dreaded shadow on the rod under the rod finish where the CP was. It was hardly perceptible, but bothered me. Maybe it was the CP I was using, U40. But from here on out it is PG for me. I guess each man to his own, as with so many other things in rod building.

Date: November 07, 2013 09:36AM

I was trying to find something on YouTube to see how this is done but could not find anything does anyone have a link??

Posted by: Bob Jumper (---.zoominternet.net)
Date: November 07, 2013 08:56PM

Frank, hope this helps

[www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Date: November 08, 2013 12:44AM

Thanks Bob that willrealy help

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster