I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

home made cp
Posted by: keith david (---.tmodns.net)
Date: November 04, 2013 03:54PM

After all the great info I received on my grip post, im in need of some more feed back like that.
I am wanting to make my own color preserver, and have some questions.

Is it really just Elmers glue and water?
if so, what is the ratio of the mix?
Is their anything else that needs to be mixed in it?
Is it even worth making myself or should I just buy it?
And if I should just buy it, whats the best?

Im building all saltwater rods. I like to make as many things as possible myself.
thank you so much in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: home made cp
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 04, 2013 04:24PM

No it is not Elmer's Glue and water. Not even close. The glue is a Polyvinyl Acetate. Most popular color preservers are either water based acrylics or urethanes.

Posted by: Nathan Moore (---.bpssmtp.org)
Date: November 04, 2013 04:34PM

I have read (but cannot substantiate) that Minwax water based poly-acryic will do the job.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: November 04, 2013 05:00PM

Just buy it...it is inexpensive and will last you a very long time. Why take the time to build a nice custom rod and not use what is proven.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 04, 2013 06:45PM

Hi Keith,
I'm with Don, just buy some quality stuff that's designed for the job and you won't have any worries.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 04, 2013 08:52PM

I think Swifty Diamondite CP was Minwax. IT was the worst CP ever.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.186.---)
Date: November 04, 2013 11:21PM

There are much better ways to spend time than trying to reinvent somthing that has already been invented AND PROVEN, and you will not even be at the start of proving it. (color fidelity, strength, sun resistance, to mention a few) I know it really ticks me off to have to do over work that has taken many hours of my time, so I use materials that were designed for rodbuilding and have a reputation of doing what they are suppossed to do. We can innovate in mechanical areas and have a pretty good chance of success, but getting into the chemicals side of it is beyond the expertise of probably 99.99% of us.

Posted by: keith david (---.tmodns.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 12:47AM

Thanks for all the input. Im gonna place an order, get a few
and lay some thread on a practice blank, and see what happens.
Thanks again for all the great input.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 12:53AM

Keith,
Or course you could just forget about using CP.

Many many rod builders build thousands of rods, without ever using a drop of CP.

It is up to the builder and the effect that they wish to achieve.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.186.---)
Date: November 05, 2013 10:59AM

Roger is right that what you want to accomplish could mean not using CP, but I submit that sooner or later you will want to use CP. You should understand what he is talking about, so if you need more detail, just email me. For some colors/effects, you will need CP. There are even times when you may want to use color fast and regular nylon in the same winding without CP.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: November 05, 2013 12:49PM

Mispost

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 12:51PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: November 05, 2013 07:01PM

I've taken all of the colors that I have and wrapped 1/2" with a 1/4" space between them. I've done this on four different dowels painted black and buffed the surface some before wrapping. Two of the dowels are with CP and two are without CP and they are all finished with thread wrap epoxy. The client can then compare colors beside one another with and without CP. You will find that your color options have basically doubled when you look at your sample wraps. By the way wrap each color dowel in the same order.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2013 11:45PM by Chester Kiekhafer.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 05, 2013 08:26PM

As for demonstrating the effect of using or not using CP, I have taken a 3 foot piece of Matte blank and wrapped 1 inch of every color I stock. I then apply CP to 1/2 inch of each wrap and leave 1/2 inch without CP. I then applied epoxy to all the warps. This very clearly shows my clints the effects with and without on every color of thread. As I only build fly rods, 95+% of them chose "no CP." Again as I have stated above, most fly fishermen disdain the bright colors and prefer the more organic look. Some simple trims on the wraps are sometimes the exception.

Posted by: keith david (172.56.4.---)
Date: November 06, 2013 11:43AM

roger wilson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keith,
> Or course you could just forget about using CP.
>
> Many many rod builders build thousands of rods,
> without ever using a drop of CP.
>
> It is up to the builder and the effect that they
> wish to achieve.
>
> Be safe

Thanks Roger, If im not using any cp, must ncp thread be used.

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: November 06, 2013 12:11PM

Keith,

You can either choose to use CP, or choose not to use CP on both Regular and NCP threads. There are no musts or must nots with CP use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster