I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mike Barkey
Posted by: keith corwin (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 31, 2013 04:55PM

As many of you know, Mike Barkley was not in good health at this years ICRBE. He had undiagnosed breathing difficulty as well as some other problems. His doctors were finally able to give him a diagnosis last spring. He has a condition called Amyloidosis. Mike had fought this condition over the summer and fall however, three weeks ago Mike was hospitalized. The doctors have done all that they can for him. Mike has lost the fight. It is with deep regret that I inform you that Mike Barkley will be discahrged from the hospital to return to his home where he will receive hospice services. We ask that you do not call as Mike is incoherent.and Rita, his wife, is in poor health. The family has decided that there will be no funeral services.
Mike helped to establish the michigan rod builders group. The Michigan Rod Builders would ask anyone who would like to participate, to make a donation to help Mike's family. If you would like to donate, please send funds, as a friend, to mirodbuilders@yahoo.com on paypal.
I met Mike on this forum. When I asked if anyone knew about a class that I could take, as I was building my first rod, Mike called and said "Come to my basement, you don't need a class". Not only is Mike my mentor, but we have been close friends ever since. I cannot say enough good things abut this man. Ann and I love his smile, his laughter, his funny life stories and his corney jokes. He will always be in our hearts. He will be missed by us and all of the people that call him friend. The rod building community is losing a great rod builder and a great friend.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mike Barkey
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 31, 2013 05:03PM

I spoke to Mike just a few weeks ago and he was in good spirits and told me that he had plans to attend the 2014 ICRBE. I learned earlier today that he had taken a turn for the worse and things did not look good. Mike is a great guy and probably has little idea how many rod builders he has helped and motivated over the years. He'll certainly be in my thoughts.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 05:14PM

Did not know him Personally - But he was a Builder

This is sad Read many of his posts - he knew his stuff

He will be missed

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 05:37PM

A really good guy, he could spend hours discussing rod building and various techniques. Will be missed by those who knew him. God Speed Mike!

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.)
Date: October 31, 2013 05:55PM

Sat in on a seminar he did at the Expo. Very down to earth guy. Very helpful here on this forum over the years. A straight shooter.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 05:55PM

Mike is one of the greats, few are as dedicated to the craft. My prayers are with him and his family.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 06:19PM

He helped me many times, answered countless questions, and was always cheerful about it. My prayers go out to him and his family.

Posted by: Michael Shea (---.grapevine.transact.net.au)
Date: October 31, 2013 06:35PM

I'm really sorry to hear that. Being in Australia, I've never met Mike face to face, but have talked to him numerous times via email, especially in my early days of rodbuilding, and the information he has given me has been invaluable.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 07:52PM

I received an email this morning about Mike. Mike was also my mentor. Mike will truly be missed.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 07:53PM

It @#$%& to read this. Mike was an awesome guy, I was fortunate to get to hang out with him every year at the ICRBE, as well as at the Chicago NERBs gatherings. He is a great guy, always had a smile on his face, was walways willing to help everyone. His ICRBE CD's with hundreds of photos were awesome, he put so much into making those.

I don't knwo what to say, it @#$%& to know he won't be around, but it's great to know he did what he wanted, he enjoyed life, and he helped a lot of others - his legacy has been passed on to so many and that's something that makes me smile.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 07:54PM

Although I never met Mike face to face, via the internet and this board, we became good friends. I thought that by joking with him I had upset him somehow. Since I had not received any friendly barbs from him that he was tired of my joking with him. Now I know the real reason that I had not heard from him and I will surely miss him.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2013 08:10PM

He will be missed by those of us in OH. He played a major role in some of our larger gatherings, and will always be remembered.

Joe

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 31, 2013 08:36PM

I met Mike almost 3 years ago now when I asked (on this forum) if anyone was interested in a Michigan get together. Mike was the first to respond with a "I'll help". We quickly became friends and I like many others will greatly miss Mike.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (199.230.124.---)
Date: October 31, 2013 09:05PM

I met Mike several years ago and had corresponded with him over the years. He truly loved rodbuilding and all people involved, he made it to several of the Chicago gatherings and was always a joy to be around. He will be missed and has passed along a legacy.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 11:30PM

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.174.8.---)
Date: November 01, 2013 12:50AM

I felt blessed to meet Mike at this years ICRBE and although he obviously had some problems we had a great time together, along with Don Morse.
Rodbuilding will be a lot poorer without him.
My sincere regards to all his family and friends

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 01, 2013 06:57AM

Mike was one of the board posters here her I was most excited to meet at the ICBRE. The first time we go together I felt like I knew him a long time. Very generous and genuine. Even the year the airlines lost his luggage he still walked around with a smile laughing at his wrinkled shirt. Time that will certainly be great memories of a great man. This time last year Mike reached out to me for contact information For Billy Vivona, He had heard of the devastation in Billy`s neck of the woods and wanted to help out. When I told him I had the info at my house but didn't have access to it due to the storm he immediately offered help. Luckily I faired pretty good and didn't need any assistance, I thanked him and suggested that he shift it to someone less fortunate than myself. All this from a man I met 6 or 7 times in my life. That is who Mike is and that legend will forever live on.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: David Boyle (---.qwl9.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 01, 2013 07:21AM

Mike was very generous with his time and information and he downplayed it. Top guy. I was privileged to meet him on several occasions and his attitude to the craft and others is inspirational. My best wishes to Mike and his family.
Dave Boyle

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 01, 2013 10:09AM

What a great guy. We met at the 2009 ICRBE. He helped me out with my first salmon down rigging rod - even sent me one of his plastic water pipe and X-flock handles to use for free. I sent him some birch bark. I hope he got a chance to use it. What a legacy - doing what you love and hanging out with and unselfishly helping other builders.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 01, 2013 10:12AM

I met Mike some years ago on this forum. We talked many times via e-mail and telephone. Then I got to meet him at the ICRBE, what a wonderful man. He was my mentor when I started building. We have had many rod building conversations. I will truly miss him.
My best wishes to Mike and his family.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster