I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod for a hack
Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.133.---)
Date: October 30, 2013 06:50PM

Suppose you were to build a fly rod for a guy that was never going to be a very good caster, but just wanted to have a little fun with it. Sun fish with poppers on the Mississippi back waters and maybe an occasional smallmouth on the Root River down in SE Minn. What weight, what length, what material etc. I would be that hack.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod for a hack
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 07:01PM

A six weight. I would make it 8'9" to 9'0" if fishing in water with plenty of room for casting in the back country. If you will have limited room I would go down to 7'6".
I would make the longer blank, of course, a CTS Affinity-X or Affinity-MX. If you go with the shorter blank I would make it the Affinity-MX.
Two pieces if you don't mind the length. 4 pieces if you need to travel or put your gear in the trunk of a car.

Why do you say you will never be a good caster?? You might surprise yourself and love the learning curve.

On the other hand if you are convinced that it is just a plaything you will not wish to spend the $ for a CTS.

Herb
Distrib. CTS Fly Blanks
Rodbuilding.org Sponsor

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 07:38PM

I think the Batson RX7 blanks are hard to beat, any kind of reasonable effort on your part delivers surprising results from the blank.

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.20.71.86.rev.sfr.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 02:11AM

this is typically the kind of situation where a fiberglass may be the ticket.
I would look for a 7'6 4wt (you can go CTS or Epic for top modern glass). I think such rods are actually easier to cast, and with a fish on they'll be a blast.
plus, they're extremely rugged.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Date: October 31, 2013 07:40AM

Laurant,
Good alternative. I don't easily think of glass as something I would want to fish - but many do that like the soft action of bamboo.
CTS has the "Vintage" model which mimics bamboo but is still graphite. But then they have the "Quartz-Fly" which I think is softer yet and is lighter than the old woven E-Glass.
The Quartz-Fly is also half the price of graphite.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2013 07:41AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: October 31, 2013 11:45AM

Fiberglass would be fun but new glass isn't cheap.
up here the hot 6 wt that i've built a ton of is the Batson f866-4 or 866-2. a little shorter 6wt but a great blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 12:28PM

You also don't need a fly blank to cast a fly line
If you can find a spin or cast blank to fit a 5/6 wt 5/16 - 6/16 oz lure Or 3/8

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: October 31, 2013 02:28PM

I'm a hack too. My advice, wait untill Utmost has a 2pc 5 weight on closeout. Might even want to make it a 3 or 4 weight as the 5 weight I got from them is way more rod than you need. Price will be right as will the quality.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 02:48PM

depending on how you like to cast or the FEEL of the rod or blank
I have found that any even a Fast Action IM 6 blank was what I would call MUSH
i like a rod or Fly Rod with good butt power and a flexible tip Where the tip flexes only into MAYBE half of the rod
That is why I suggested a spin or cast blank

Fly line or lure -- it is all weight that loads the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 01, 2013 08:55PM

Jim,
Don't sell yourself short before you begin.
In your case I would build on a 7' light action spinning blank probably glass.
Use a 5" rear grip with a #16 spinning seat and a 6" cigar fore grip.
Build as a spinning rod but use a fly rod guide chain.
The blank should cast an 8 weight fly line or can be used as a spinning rod.
Use a fly tip top and if it grooves either replace or use a TFAT tip top.
Dual stripper guides #16 and #10 with 5 fly snake guides the top 2 being single foot light frame titanium.
Nice thing about blue gills is the other possibilities in the water.
5# bass or 8# cat's will also hit a variety of gill patterns.

Have fun learning or bring along the spinner. Either way you fish.

Gene

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2013 09:13PM

If you go with a cheap IM6 blank, you might want to CCS test it. I have built a few low-cost fly rods, on sale that advertised 4 or 5 wt and ended up being 3 and 4 wt with a very slow action. Not at all what they advertised.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2013 11:11AM

Jim,
I'm assuming that you are accustomed to spin-casting and/or bait-casting, and, therefore have a fast casting motion. In my opinion, you would likely be more comfortable with a "fast" (as opposed to a "slow") action in a fly rod blank.
Fly-casting is not hard, just different, than what you are used to. The weight of the line is what loads the rod, instead of the weight of the lure, bait, etc. I have watched guides teach first-timers how to fly-cast in the parking lot, just before heading down to the stream. Here's how they do it: Strip some line off past the tip top, say 15 feet. Grab the fly line with your non-rod hand, between the stripper guide and the reel. Hold the rod horizontal to the ground (9 o'clock). Raise the rod quickly to 12 o'clock, and stop sharply. Wait one full second. Lower the rod quickly to 9 o'clock, stop quickly and release the line. The more line you have out, the longer you need to pause, at the 12 o'clock position. Pay special attention not to go past the 9 and 12 positions. Practice in the grass, so you don't wreck your line. Granted, few of these newbies look great, at first, but they are all able to fish effectively, and they do improve as the day goes on. To get more help, contact your local Trout Unlimited or Federation of Fly Fishers. These organizations will be able to put you in touch with a top flight instructor, often just for the cost of becoming a member.
Good Luck!

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2013 11:18AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: November 02, 2013 03:05PM

My advice ... buy a high quality, fast action blank and build a rod that will be a pleasure to cast/own. Cheap fly blanks are terrible, most are enough to make anyone quit trying to learn.

Date: November 03, 2013 07:42AM

X2!!!

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (205.185.133.---)
Date: November 03, 2013 09:35AM

Thanks fellas for the advice. I have given it all a good deal of thought and figure if I am going to build one I might just as well shell out a few bucks and make it a good one. Length is no problem plenty of room for backcasts. Probably a 5/6 wt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster