I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod for sunfish
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 06:22PM

My son and I are going to build a couple fly rods this winter. They will be used primarily for sunfish. We have always liked to throw a popper and casting bubble on spinning gear, but it often tangles and is not very stealthy when that bobber splashes down. If the rod could do double duty and throw a larger lure for bass that would be alright. I tried a bit of fly fishing over 40 years ago so we are total newbies.

Based on input from a few years ago I think a 5 wt was recommended. I was able to pick up a few blanks for a good price. I have two Tiger Eyes. One is 8' 6" 6/7 wt and one is a 9' 3/4 wt. I also have a Forecast 8' 6" 5 wt. Is the 6/7 just too much rod for my intended use? If so, what is it good for?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod for sunfish
Posted by: Josh Coburn (---.byu.edu)
Date: October 30, 2013 06:37PM

The general wisdom would say to use a light rod. Probably a 3 or 4 weight for sunfish. If you need to cast a popper a "country mile" (40+ ft.) into a stiff wind you might want a 5wt. for sunfish. I believe that people going after bass are generally in the range of a 6 or 7 weight. That said you could use any weight you want it mostly depends on the experience you want. A lighter weight rod will make smaller fish feel much larger and can be more delicate in the presentation. A heavier rod will quickly over power a smaller fish but will do much better in the wind. I've caught bluegills on a 5wt and it was fun but the fight would have been more challenging on a lighter rod.

I'd probably keep the 6/7 weight specifically for Bass. It would likely over power all but the largest sunfish very easily but it would be a perfect weight for throwing bass flies. It could also be used as a streamer rod for large trout or other fish in that size/weight/power range.

Of course when a bass eats the sunfish you are trying to pull in a 3wt. things quickly get very interesting. :)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 30, 2013 06:57PM

I'd probably go with something along the lines of a 9' 4-weight, 5-weight at the most. That keeps it fun and the length maximizes the power of the fish against you.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 07:37PM

I use an 8'6", Fast Action, 4 weight, but anything close should offer plenty of fun.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 08:09PM

I have a Tiger Eye 5 wt. which I dearly love for pan fish and small bass. It is a dream to cast.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 09:13PM

Thanks for the input. I'm going to put them on the test fixture and hang some pennies on them.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 11:26AM

I bet that 8'6" 6/7 will be a lot of fun casting poppers and divers to largemouth.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Posted by: Gabe Neal (---.dot.gov)
Date: October 31, 2013 02:49PM

Talk about fun….Try it at night with a full or medium moon with a glow-in-the-dark popper. They are made by Betts. You hold the popper under a flashlight and then lay it out close to the bank or stump. All you hear is a pop when the big bulls hit it. Back to your question fishing so close to the bank you get hung on a side of a tree or bush. That is why I like the 6wt. It is easy to roll cast to get the popper un hung. Especially when you have 30-40 foot of line lying out.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 01, 2013 10:12AM

Gabe Neal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Talk about fun….Try it at night with a full or
> medium moon with a glow-in-the-dark popper. They
> are made by Betts. You hold the popper under a
> flashlight and then lay it out close to the bank
> or stump. All you hear is a pop when the big
> bulls hit it. Back to your question fishing so
> close to the bank you get hung on a side of a tree
> or bush. That is why I like the 6wt. It is easy
> to roll cast to get the popper un hung.
> Especially when you have 30-40 foot of line lying
> out.

Sounds like a blast. We'll probably be in a boat most of the time. Thanks!

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 01, 2013 09:01PM

Chuck,
I normally build the rod for the size fly I'm throwing.
Poppers can be used with a #4 but an #8 makes it easier.
Keep the rod short and the line heavy and you can cover a lot of water from one spot.
The difficult part is getting a soft presentation from a heavy line but with practice you can fish drys delicately.
My go to is an 8' 8 weight. Makes casting poppers or streamers with indicators effortless.

Gene

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2013 09:05PM

I use an 8'6" - 4wt. with 5wt. floating line on it. My father used a 3 wt until recently. He claimed that the 3 wt was just a tad too light, especially if you get into some nice crappie or large red ear. I would go with the 4 or 5 wt.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster