I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice on cutting cork rings
Posted by: John Menken (---.syniverse.com)
Date: October 28, 2013 04:48PM

I have the standard cork jigs that allow me to cut out wedges or cut thin slices off the cork but what if I want to simply cut a ring in half. By way of example, I have the standard 1/2" thickness cork ring and I want to turn it into two 1/4" thickness rings. I tried shimming it up with washers but I cannot seem to get it exact plus I don't like cutting across the top of the cork jig. Can anyone give me some advice on this? Many thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice on cutting cork rings
Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.186.---)
Date: October 28, 2013 06:26PM

I've not tried this, but I think it will work. Biggest problem is probably to place the kerf of the saw accurately enough to get both halves the same. FIRMLY tape the rings together into a length long enough to hold firmly against the miter gage of a table saw and carefully run the last ring through the saw very slowly. Maybe mounting on a 1/4 dowel plus the tape will help keep their axes parallel. Having one of the new "clean cut" precision blades will help-smoother cuts, thinner kerf. Keep safe.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: October 28, 2013 06:55PM

Put a piece of tape on top of the jig to keep it from getting scratched. use a small "flush cut saw" the teeth have no set so they won't scratch the jig . then after shimming to the height you want cut all the way around the outside of the cork ring then work towards the middle. I find tht if I go straight across right to left the ring sometimes shifts.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 09:52PM

John,
One way to do it is to put it on a threaded rod, or a series of them together on a threaded rod.

Then, put the rod in a lathe and have it spin. Then, just bring a fine kerf saw down on the rings and the spinning rings will be cut true.

Be safe

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: October 29, 2013 06:54AM

As a wood worker I would take two half inch rings and cut them slightly oversized. Then fine sand down to matching thickness.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.186.---)
Date: October 29, 2013 10:57AM

If you have a lathe Roger's way is most likely the best, and safest, method. You can spin a threaded rod in a drill press with a lower support, too, but won't be as stable as a lathe.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 29, 2013 11:16AM

Or
You can buy a bunch of 1/4" rings and save the time
Check on any sales going on
You may have to dress them up a little

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2013 11:17AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 29, 2013 09:49PM

How many do you need - I have hundreds.
herb

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 12:50PM

in cutting cork rings I have used lots of saw blades, out come was not good ,
looked around found a Gyros saw blade .008 thick, 60 TPI , an use a Fretsaw handle to hold the blade [ tight ] have the teeth on the blade as close as you can get to the clamps on the Fretsaw, you have to stabilize the cork ring some how. I use Nylon / Metal spacers
with a bolt an nut [ LOWS ] with strips of X ray film to go around the cork [ A way to help stabilize the ring ] , when you cut the ring do a 1/3 cut rotate the ring an do it again, repeat the process till the ring is cut all the way , the saw blade has very little cutting loss , go slow it works ,
part number for saw blade 84-6008 [ Amazon ]
PS GYROS sells a complete saw but the Fretsaw handle works the best for me,
by using the Gyros blade you will not need tape on the ring , in cutting the ring's into pie shapes it is a lot easer with this saw you cut a stright line it don't walk there is some tricks on the pie cuts
jsid6g@aol.com if you want more info

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: November 01, 2013 12:41AM

PS the fret saw will not work on the GRYOS blade it only works on scrool saw blades but the hand scrool saw units work like , a dream [ Mud Hole sells them , put the teeth as close to the clamp make as tight as you can , an go slowley set the teeth so you cut on the pull, not the push , of the saw
an cut the out side of the ring frist, by turning it , cut the middle, no tape, very little cutting to no curtting loss , I use the Mud Hole ring cutter with nylon washers works great down to 1/8 inch a little trickey
for 1 / 16 nch , but can be accomlish SID

William Sidney
AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster