I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Guy With a Question About Power Wrappers
Posted by: Steve Bower (---.fuse.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 08:39PM

Hi All,
I’m new to the forum and have some experience building rods, but it was a long time ago. I remember resting the rods on my legs to wrap them when I was a kid. Now I’m ready to move forward and am looking to buy a power wrapper.
I don’t plan to get one of the high end machines like the Renzetti or Custom Power Wrap, but rather the next step down. It seems to me the machines sold by Batson (ALPS Power Wrapper/Dryer), PacBay (RodSmith XL) and Mud Hole (American Tackle PBWD-Ultimate) are very similar both in appearance and price. The Flexcoat DL713 Power Wrapper is close, but wood instead of aluminum.
Would any one of these be better than the other, or is it just preference? I want to get the upgraded chuck and tail stock for turning grips.
I would like to hear your comments before moving forward with my purchase.
Thanks in advance for your input.
I look forward to being a part of this group.
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Guy With a Question About Power Wrappers
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2013 08:50PM

First, how many rods do you plan to make? Just for yourself, a few relatives, or go into business? If just for yourself and a few for friends, I would stick with a simple setup that supports the rod, has a thread carriage for a couple spools of thread, and maybe a dryer motor set up. You don't need to invest a lot of money just to make a few rods. IMHO Power wrappers can also be used to turn your handles unless you plan to use pre-form grips. Then it can be a dual purpose machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2013 08:53PM by Randolph Ruwe.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 01:03PM

If you are only planning to turn a few grips with these units, you may be okay. You will definitely want the upgraded chuck. I assume you will be using the same unit for wrapping as well so you'll have to take some extra steps to keep your wrapping area clean from all the cork dust. You are right, in that all the models you listed are very similar. Good for wrapping and finishing, marginal for doing much grip turning.

Depending on your budget and space available, you might consider a couple of other options.

Personally, I prefer to keep my turning area and wrapping/finishing area separate. So, grips get turned in the garage on the lathe, wrapping and finishing upstairs in the rod room. I accomplished this by purchasing a midi wood lathe after my power wrapper. If you have a smaller budget and are only going to make a few rods, you can purchase a grizzly lathe (your drill provides the power), a drying motor and stick with a hand wrapper. This would upgrade your turning capabilities, stabilize your wrapping station, provide a drying station, all for about the same money.

Of course there are many ways to accomplish your goals, depending on what they are. These are just a few suggestions to get you thinking.

Terry

Posted by: Steve Bower (---.fuse.net)
Date: October 28, 2013 11:25PM

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I have retired so I was planning to start a small custom rod business so I feel a power wrapper is the way to go. I have a woodworking shop in my basement and I can turn cork there without the worry of generating dust in the wrapping area. I looked at the Grizzly Hobby lathe and feel this would be a good option for turning handles. I already have a drying motor/machine. I looked at the RodSmith XL today and liked the unit for the most part. I wasn't very impressed with the aluminum tube rail base though. I like the base on the American Tackle unit better. Plus the American Tackle unit would accept a tail stock unit.

I plan to keep looking to see what else is out there. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted by: Kevin Bogan (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 09:34AM

you will wrap rods about 3-5 times faster with a Flexcoat rod lathe. It's the best on the market.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 10:03AM

if you are handy you can make one like the FlexCoat
I made one that fits on my wrapper / dryer unit

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 30, 2013 12:24PM

Power wrappers are really only useful to people who build rods at least on a somewhat regular basis. Of course, I should come clean and say that I don't follow my own advice because I build more than a few rods and I probably have one of the nicer custom power wrappers around...

So here's my advice:

A home made hand-turn wrapper with good thread tensioning device and a mini or midi sized variable-speed lathe (for turning handles) will cost you about the same money as a mid-priced power wrapper and probably will be more useful to the casual rodbuilder. Lathes with a 1/4-1/2 hp motor are much better at turning grips than a wrapper with a 1/10 hp motor. An additional bonus is that in having two tools, you can separate dirty and clean areas to reduce the chances of finish contamination on your rods. Also, with the lathe, you can try some wood turning projects if your so inclined.

Turning grips on a steel mandrel on a lathe, and transferring them to a rod blank, generally produces nicer handles than if you turn a grip on a flexible blank in a wrapper. Centripetal force causes the blank to spin slightly off round, and under close inspection you will notice your grips are not symmetrical around the axis. This is not as big a problem with cork turned at moderate speeds, but when you have to run at or near full speed to shape foam it will be more noticeable.

Of course, if you plan to just purchase premade grips (and other components) and mount them to your blank, there's no need for the lathe at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2013 12:35PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 30, 2013 12:36PM

There is a builder here that is into building equipment ( Roger Wilson ) hflier@comcast.net
He can build you some thing

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster