I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Builder Magazine
Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: October 25, 2013 06:29PM

Hi All,

Tom I know you mentioned in the past that I you cannot send the magazine to Canada. However I recall someone mentioning on a post that there was a way to get it here? Anyone know of this? I could buy the CD's but it's just not the same. I like to hold what I am reading.

Thanks

Chris

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Builder Magazine
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2013 06:32PM

I think some folks have it sent to a relative or friend here in the U.S. and have them ship it on up to Canada.

Date: October 25, 2013 06:41PM

Unfortunately for me I don't have relatives in the US. Well I may have to just get the CD's. I am just starting to build rods and really need to tutorials and lessons!

Any recommendations on a advanced CD for rod building? Do you offer one?

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: October 25, 2013 07:17PM

Chris:

Depending on where you are, if you can get to the US regularly, rent a mail box at a UPS store. Have the magazine sent there.

I live about 10 minutes from a border crossing, but I have a relative re-ship the magazine to me. I did build him a rod though:) The price is right for me :)

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: October 25, 2013 07:55PM

Hey Chris

I am about hour and half. To far to drive for that. i may have to just order the CD.

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 10:33PM

Yep it @#$%& we cant get our hands on them up here.........

Date: October 26, 2013 09:40AM

Hi Paul,

I believe the issue is shipping into Canada from a duty stand point? It cost to much to make it worth while for them.

Hey Tom do you get many inquiries to ship to Canada? If so is it an option to ship to one person and they could then ship throughout Canada?
Just trying to get creative here.

Posted by: Chris Richer (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: October 26, 2013 10:26AM

There are a couple of issues.

The magazines go out as third class mail, so they are not bundled except by general mailing area in the US. Each magazine that is sent to Canada needs a customs form and additional postage which takes time and money, cutting into profit margin.

So the easiest way is to have all of the Canadian subscriptions sent to one address in the US, and then picked up and brought across. Duty and tax would then be paid. Once in Canada, the magazines would need to be reposted with Canadian postage.

At this point the person or business would be acting as a distributor and would be responsible for any magazines that are damaged or lost in the Canadian mail system, just as Tom does in the US. This means the person would need to cover the cost of additional magazines that may not be needed.

It has been tried a couple of time with varying degrees of success. Yes, because I live so close to a border crossing I have looked into it. To do all of this would raise the price of the magazine to about $60-$70 Canadian.

I get my subscription through family in Michigan. Come to the ICRBE meets some people and see if you can convince one of them to transship a subscription to you. Tom usually has previous issues for sale as well.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Paul Pipke (---.vf.shawcable.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 10:28AM

Hey Chris,
Likely your right shipping is a big one our postal service simply cant ship anything for less than $15 it seems.
I am trying to find a retailer that sells magazines to bring them in for me but not to much success so far.

Posted by: bill brodrick (---.cmts.sth3.ptd.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 04:24PM

Good reason to move!! lol That's how much I love my rm.

Date: October 26, 2013 06:31PM

Money really isn't the issue - it's time. Each magazine requires a customs form filled out and requires being mailed in person from the USPS. I can't just drop a copy in a mailbox and without any staff the time required to drive to the post office, stand in line, etc., etc., just isn't practical for me. I wish it was. I have looked into some mailing services in the hopes of being able to do this direct again, but so far, no such luck.

Several folks there in Canada have purchased magazines for resale but from what I'm told, none have proved reliable.

Date: October 26, 2013 09:52PM

Hi Tom,

Understood.

Anyone interested in mailing me 6 times a year? I will pay for all costs and extras up front. Just putting it out there. :-)

Thanks

Date: October 26, 2013 10:16PM

Here's the problem you'll run into - who pays when a copy goes missing?

Date: October 26, 2013 10:20PM

I have already paid up front. In fact I will pay for an extra 2 copies up front. It's not about the money my friend, it's about coming up with a solution!

Date: October 26, 2013 10:29PM

What I'm saying is, you pay and then have somebody mail it to you. It goes missing. Now what?

International mail has about a 50% delivery rate. (To Canada is slightly better, however.)

Date: October 26, 2013 10:36PM

What I am saying is i will give whoever wants to do this a buffer of money to pay for 2 lost issues. I don't ever expect to get that money back. If no issues go missing then keep the money. And we will start all over again the next year. Call it a thank you for your time and effort. Or call it building trust, I don't know. I am just trying to figure out a solution to a problem that doesn't seen that big to me. My glass is always half full my friend!

Thanks

Chris

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.mpinet.com)
Date: October 26, 2013 11:08PM

Tulk -
When I first started building a few years ago, I bought the cd with volume 1-9 on it. That cd alone is a wealth of information. I'd highly recommend it.

Date: October 26, 2013 11:35PM

I tried to buy the CD earlier tonight but it won't let me pick Canada as a country as part of the address? Tom help please.

But I still want the magazine. We are not moving mountains here. :-)

Posted by: Lindsay PELLETIER (---.w92-140.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: October 27, 2013 07:28AM

Hello,

As overseas rod builder, I have many interest of this magazine, but since international subscription isn't available (I know fews distributor resell it in the world), it's a problem for many overseas rod builders to have acces to this magazine.
It's very frustating to see on this forum a discussion who talk about a technique, a product, etc and know (and people said it) you can find all you need in the magazine.
Ok, so I want to buy this publication to can also see myself the good article in question, and discover fantastic articles, but no overseas subscriptions is available, very frustating.

Seems international rod builders is excluded of good informations, techniques, etc.
I know it's not a will from the magazine, but it's the result for us.

I also think, overseas market can be big enough to have interest for the magazine, but it's only my point of view.

So, there is a way that exist and who can be very interesting for us (overseas rod builders), but maybe also for US rod builders.

This way is paying dowload.

No lost in shipment, no high prices due to lost or customs tax, etc.
I'm sure you,Tom Kirkman you have already thinking of this, and I also think why you don't want this way, but maybe a potential way can be find ?

Note: Sorry all (and particulary for the owner Tom Kirkman) if my message is maybe not exactly what I want to said, but my limited English is not a good help.

Thank you.

Date: October 27, 2013 08:30AM

There is a European reseller of the magazine and from what I am told they are very reliable.

Cork 4US in the sponsor column to the left.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster