I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

line for quickline 6wt switch rod
Posted by: carl rutherford (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 02:38PM

I am building a quickline 6wt switch rod for fishing searun cuttrhroat in puget sound, washington. These rods are new to me. i will be casting from shore, using light to medium flies, not using an indicator, wanting the fly a foot or so below the surface, stripping it in and interested in distance mainly because of the wind. I will be using mainly a spey type cast. At this point that is the only fishing I will use this rod for. I have heard varying suggestions as to the line I should use on this rod. One person suggested going two wts up-8wt. Another suggested a 350 to 425 grain head. I have heard some say go to a skandi or skagit type with loop to loop and others say an integrated line would be better. I do have an Rio outward bound 5wt shooting head floating that I use with a regular fly rod. It does not get me the distance I need in the wind. I have been told to get Wulffs Ambush line. I do not want to end up buying several lines to find the "right" one. What one line would get the closest to what i require?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: line for quickline 6wt switch rod
Posted by: jon tobey (199.233.179.---)
Date: October 25, 2013 04:10PM

You want to talk to Aaron Reimer he used to own River Run Anglers (http://aboutriverrunanglers.blogspot.com/) now defunct but you should be able to contact him there or search his name + spey. He has a free class in Fall City every weekend with a bucket of reels and lines. He will know what you need and let you test it out. I'm ver curious as to how a spey cast works at the beach. Do you do a dump cast?

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 25, 2013 04:20PM

I have the same rod and am using an 8 weight Rio Indicator line on it, mainly short roll casts. The line may be a bit heavy for the rod but it works for me. If you visit the Pac Bay website I believe they now have recommended line weights for the Quickline series.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 06:24PM

Carl, why don't you check out Spey Pages .com. The only thing discussed there is spey and switch rod fishing.

Posted by: carl rutherford (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: October 25, 2013 10:27PM

I will be in Arizona for about 6 months so will not be going to Fall City until after.

Posted by: jon tobey (---.sea.wa.customer.broadstripe.net)
Date: October 26, 2013 05:12PM

Well, probably won't be fishing the beach much during that time, either ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster