I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Practice wraps using fly-tying thread
Posted by: Dave Shepherd (---.dsl.mweb.co.za)
Date: October 21, 2013 01:47PM

I have ordered size A thread for my fly rod build. As a total beginner to rod building I decided to practice a few wraps on an old fly rod using the only
thread available to me - 280 Denier fly-tying thread. i understand that this thread is not suitable for rod building, but wanted to at least attempt starting and finishing a wrap correctly. Managed that quite easily and the wraps looked pretty good for a first attempt.

My questions are as follows:
Will it be alot easier using the correct thread - in this case size A?
The fly-tying thread seemed to slip easily and not stack too nicely. Would that be expected from using the fly-tying thread?

I suppose I am just looking for a confidence boost!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Practice wraps using fly-tying thread
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2013 02:08PM

The size A rod building thread won't have wax on it (your fly tying thread might) and shouldn't slip and will be a tad larger in diameter. You'll find it easier for guide wrapping.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2013 03:26PM

Dave,
Just grab some common sewing thread. This thread will act much like rod building thread.

By the way, when you start a wrap, use a piece of masking tape to hold down the loose end. That way you can put 4 or 5 wraps over the tag end to secure it before you cut the tag end from the tape.
This is much easier than trying to just let the end of the tag end lay on the rod and slip. Take some masking tape and cut it into narrower strips. The narrower tape works well and takes care of securing the thread very well.

Be safe

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: October 22, 2013 04:55PM

Hi, Welcome to the rod-building fraternity. Best to decide now, how you are going to wrap: inwards, or outwards. Outwards to mean the thread is coming in ~underneath~ the blank, thumbs going upwards as you wrap. Inwards to mean the thread is coming in from ~on top~ of the blank, with the thumbs going downwards as you wrap. Or if you prefer: from your right hand: CW, or CCW.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 22, 2013 05:24PM

Dave,
Commercial rod building thread will work much easier then fly tying thread.
The fly thread is loosely woven so it flatten's as tension is applied.
Rod thread will remain closer to round allowing wraps to guide into position side by side rather than overlap.
Much more consistent and easier.

Gene

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 22, 2013 06:47PM

You are not building a rocket ship
As you build you will see how The tension should be how the thread goes around and when to Pack
if you have a nice machine ( i built my own ) and it works find for many years

get some scrap blanks or some thin dowels Wrap thread on Wrap guides on practice If it is not right Cut it off and do it again

The more you worry about it -- The more you will screw up

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster