I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St. Croix Rod Paint Repair
Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 18, 2013 11:08AM

Hiya,

I have a buddy that picked up a St. Croix Big Dawg rod a while ago that has a bunch of chips in the blue paint all down the blank. He's asking if I can make it look nice again. Never tackled a project like this. Any advice on how to fix the chips up? I'm not really sure how to fix it without the some type of paint or sealer or something...

Appreciate the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St. Croix Rod Paint Repair
Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: October 18, 2013 01:35PM

Two methods come to mind.
1) Strip all of the exposed paint, mask off what is not to be painted(grips, guides, labels etc) and spray a colour match paint with a top coat.

2) Strip all of the guides, repaint, topcoat with permagloss or lumiseal and rewrap the guides,

Trying to fill the craters will mean over filling and sanding.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2013 01:37PM by Chris Richer.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 18, 2013 05:02PM

I am with Chris

Sinse there are chips on the rod it may be because the paint is not adhering to the blank
The better thing IMHO would be to strip the guides off Strip the paint off Repaint and then As said coat with a clear as permagloss or LumiSeal Then rewrap
There is a lot of info here with a Search on Painting blanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 21, 2013 04:44PM

Thanks fellas, any tips on peeling off the paint without hurting the blank? sanding what hurt the graphite? Also, any idea where to pick up a matching blue paint?

Thanks,
Jon

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 21, 2013 04:53PM

Once you get the guides off Scrap with a DULL knife or razor blade Then use a scotch pad to clean it up
heat may also help to soften the paint while scraping it off Do not CUT into the blank 90 degrees to the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Scott (---.direcpc.com)
Date: October 22, 2013 06:06AM

Jon,
Citri-strip is a mild citrus based paint stripper that can be found at most hardware stores. i have stripped a half dozen rods and it works great. i then leave the graphite unfinished and rewrap. Do a search for painting blanks as Bill mentioned and you will get a ton of information. As for my experience i can't master the lumiseal or permagloss over paint, its not easy.
Good Luck

JScott

Posted by: Chuck Blocker (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 31, 2013 01:40PM

I used Citri-strip to take the orange of a carrot stick with great results and no damage to the blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster