I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bottom of rod blank crushed...can I save it?
Posted by: Scott Nordlund (---.pppoe.skyl.pub.gwtc.net)
Date: October 15, 2013 01:44AM

A completed rod has been returned to me with the last four inches crushed. It's a split grip and both the butt cork and exposed blank above it are cracked and out-of-round.

Can I cut this off, plug it and have any hope of salvaging it as usable (didn't say pretty) fishing instrument?

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Thanks, as always....

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bottom of rod blank crushed...can I save it?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2013 02:24AM

Scott,

First remove all of the thread wraps on the butt of the rob between the butt cap and the reel seat. (depending on the amount of damage, you might be better off in removing the thread wraps after repairing the blank)
Remove the butt cap on the rod. Then go through old blank sections and find a piece of blank that would be a force fit up the butt of the rod, all of the way for a few inches past the crush point.
Then, just mix up a batch of epoxy, insure that the inside of the blank is well coated by using a much smaller piece of blank to coat the inside of the rod, and also coat the outside of the repair piece.
Have the repair piece longer than the blank, so that you can use the blank repair extension to force the repair blank all of the way up tight to restore the shape and size of the original butt of the rod.
After the glue has dried, chop off the repair extension that is sticking out of the rod.
Replace the butt cap, or install a new butt cap.

Now, use a razor scraped at right angles to the blank, to remove any high spots from the former crushed part of the blank.
Then, do a full butt wrap from the butt cap to the reel seat, to cover and strengthen the portion of the rod blank that was crushed.
I believe that the rod would be as strong or stronger than before, and if you do a nice butt wrap with some inlays, will be just as attractive as before.

Finish off with a nice thread coating and let it dry.

Be safe

p.s.
When you select your repair section to go inside the butt section of the rod, you want to select a section of rod blank that will match both the size as well as the taper of the inner part of the rod butt that is crushed.

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.coastalsystemsint.com)
Date: October 15, 2013 11:31AM

This might be a good opportunity to use the telescoping handle system by Manley Rods. I believe Mudhole carries them now.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 15, 2013 12:07PM

be careful of graphite fibers They are a bandit to get out of your finger

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 15, 2013 04:38PM

Hi Scott,
If you don't want to bind over the area you could remove both small grips and replace it with a full length piece of eva or cork. You may have to bind some thread over the blank to get a neat fit but it would help to keep everything in place. Roger's suggestion is good. The only thing I would add would be to get a "water break free" on the outside of the short piece of blank and the inside of the crushed one if possible. That will give you a better bond. Use a good quality epoxy for this.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 15, 2013 04:40PM

Rod Bond !!!

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster