I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Changing reel seat without destroying cork
Posted by: Tim Denholm (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 03:40PM

Here is my dilemma. I have a new factory rod with a full wells grip and an inletted aluminum reel seat. I want to change the reel seat and keep the grip. I have read up on the two methods of reel seat removal ie boiling and cutting off. My thinking is that boiling may destroy the grip so I'm leaning towards cutting the seat off. First I would cut into the grip at the point where the seat ends, effectively removing the last cork ring where the inlet is and then remove the seat and last cork ring by using a dremmel. Then replace that last inletted ring with one that came with the new seat and glue it to the existing reel grip with a clamp to get a tight fit. I was thinking of removing the last ring with a razor blade and sanding the back of the grip flat to get a good fit with the new ring. The new grip has a wood insert and that would installed last. I would really appreciate any and all opinions as to the best way to accomplish this job

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changing reel seat without destroying cork
Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 04:01PM

What brand rod is it?

Posted by: Tim Denholm (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 04:06PM

Winston GVX 6 wt that was factory made with a full wells and small fighting butt. The seat is the same one used on the 8 wt and way too big in diameter IMHO. Replacing with Ballangar with wood insert.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 04:17PM

A Winston

leave it alone Sell it Buy the blank and the parts you like and build the rod you want

A shame to cut up that rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 04:22PM

I assume your going to replace the fighting butt? Once you get the butt off that will tell you how the seat was installed also how much space you have between the seat and rod and that will determine how deep you can cut. Take a dremel and cut lenght wise up to about 1/2" of hood do not cut into hood. Make 2 cuts 180 degree from each other. Now make a cut across the seat and peel each side off. With remaining 1/2" sticking out grasp firmly and give a little twist to test the bond stenght between the hood and seat. Sometimes this is the one place they do not glue very well. If the seat comes loose great if not then you'll have to cut the cork ring and take it from there.
Sometimes it's a good idea to make a jig to run the dremel down if your not steady with the tool.

Hope this helps
Dave East Bay Custom Flyrods

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 05:01PM

I always use the boiling in water method, and have good success in saving the grip undamaged. The key is to put the reel seat and grip into a heavy poly bag, like Ziplock to keep them dry while boiling. It might take a couple of 10 minute sessions in the boiling water to loosen the reel seat, but not nearly distructive at cutting off the seat and damaging the blank!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2013 09:46PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 05:05PM

Try the boiling water If that doesn;t work then cut

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster