I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Applying finish to rod-which finish?
Posted by: Scott Cmelik (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 12, 2013 02:48PM

This morning I attempted to coat an old ice rod that I repainted with Krylon Fusion with PermaGloss before I actually do it to my dads Christmas present and it looks as though I spread paint removed on the rod. Its all bubbled up and wrinkled and the paint is literally falling off so I am not going to use that on my dads rod, I just need way more practice with it before I use it again. Anyways I need something to finish the rod with to protected the paint. I tried Krylon Fusions clear coat on another rod but it gives me a very rough finish, I would like something nice and smooth and glossy, a very thin coat of ProKote maybe???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Applying finish to rod-which finish?
Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2013 02:59PM

Give the paint a coat of water based color preserver or two first to seat it against the solvents in the Perma Gloss. That should work. Try it on a scrap blank first to see how it works.

Posted by: Fred Cory (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 12, 2013 03:24PM

I have used Flexcoat over Krylon Fusion - works great - but of course that adds a small bit more weight than permagloss.

If you warm the epoxy in warm water before mixing and applying, you can get a very thin coat.

The solvent in permagloss is very hot and will eat through a typical spray paint.

Posted by: Scott D parsons (---.sub-70-193-15.myvzw.com)
Date: October 12, 2013 04:53PM

Try our Lumiseal it is not as hot as permagloss and should do the job.
Scott

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 12, 2013 06:12PM

Hello Scott.

Did you let the paint dry a good long while (up to a week, depending on conditions) before applying the PG?

And there is the question of blank prep before painting?

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2013 06:14PM by Robert A. Guist.

Date: October 12, 2013 07:56PM

Bob,

the blank I tried putting PG on this morning got painted about a year ago and to be honest with you I don't remember how I prepped it. My dads rod I prepped but lightly sanding the blank with 800 grit paper then wiped it down with DNA and let it sit for about a week. I sprayed a light first coat and let it hang for a week, sprayed another light coat and let it hang for two weeks, sprayed a last coat and it hung for another two weeks. Then I sprayed a coat of Krylon Fusion clear over the top of it hoping that it would be my finish coat but it ended up being very rough so I was going to PG over top of that but now I am scared to after seeing what it did to the other blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2013 08:54PM

Scott,
I think you are talking about a Thorne Brothers Ice rod blank?

All of these blanks are really very very high quality, that really excel with no finish on the blank.
I realize that you want it really nice for your father.

But, you might better spend your time doing the perfect wrap, rather than making the rod heavier with finish.

Be safe

Date: October 12, 2013 09:04PM

Roger,

Yes it is a TB blank and you are right its a beautiful rod without the finish. I am trying to make it very themed specific (Iowa Hawkeyes) and because of that I want something other than just a plain black blank, I want this to be different than any rod out there. I was worried about the weight that the paint was going to add so I threw it on the scale today and so far I have only added about 1/4 of an ounce so far (assuming my scale is on) so I figure that if I did a butt wrap it would add about the same amount.

Besides its already painted so I kind of have to go through with it now haha.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2013 10:15PM

Scott,
Great job.
I am sure that it will be a great rod for your father.

Be safe

Posted by: chip burdick (---.63.130.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 13, 2013 10:06AM

Is it possible the paint froze? I use Krylon on my ice rods all the time with no problems. I did have 1 rod with similar charactoristics. I found out from Krylon that it must have frozen during shipment or storage. I sanded it back down with 600 grit wet/dry and repainted. I flash mine coat all in the same day to melt layers of paint together. Then use clear over the whole thing. I don't use PG but still the other epoxies don't peel the paint. After coating with clear, if the finish is "bumpy" I wet sand with 1500 or higher to rid the bumps.Don't know if this helps or not but just some insight to an answer to your problem.

Date: October 13, 2013 01:08PM

chip burdick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it possible the paint froze? I use Krylon on my
> ice rods all the time with no problems. I did have
> 1 rod with similar charactoristics. I found out
> from Krylon that it must have frozen during
> shipment or storage. I sanded it back down with
> 600 grit wet/dry and repainted. I flash mine coat
> all in the same day to melt layers of paint
> together. Then use clear over the whole thing. I
> don't use PG but still the other epoxies don't
> peel the paint. After coating with clear, if the
> finish is "bumpy" I wet sand with 1500 or higher
> to rid the bumps.Don't know if this helps or not
> but just some insight to an answer to your
> problem.

Chip,

I suppose its entirely possible that it froze in shipping, I haven't tried it on anything else so I am not sure if I was trying to hold it to far away from the blank when I coated it or if I just have a bad can. I just sprayed it again to see what happens. If it still doesn't work then I am going to send it to you to paint it for me haha.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 16, 2013 12:12PM

From my experience, PermaGloss will go over Krylon; but Krylon will not go over PermaGloss.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster