I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PacBay 'W' foot micros
Posted by: Hugo Kodesh (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: October 12, 2013 09:44AM

Hey guys, I'm getting some PacBay minima TF3XG-4W guides as runners on an ultralight, the only thing that I'm worried about is the wide foot being too wide for the blank (4.5 tip I believe). Does anyone know the measurements for these guides? I suppose I could grind down the foot so it is slimmer but I would rather not have to do that.

Thanks,

Hugo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PacBay 'W' foot micros
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 12, 2013 10:10AM

Try calling your supplier and ask them to measure them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 12, 2013 06:06PM

Hello Hugo.

Pac Bay (on the left) has a catalog you can read or download which has all info (including measurements) for everything they sell in it.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 13, 2013 02:29AM

If you're are on Ultra Light you'd better use thé size 3 (opening on Minima are greater than same ceramic seize).

On 4.5 tip the size 3 foot match (of course you can grind it a little of you want).

Yesterday I wrapped à rod with 1.0mm tip (yes 2.5 tip for you) and I needed to grind my XF3XG03 foots.

Date: October 13, 2013 03:22AM

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll stick with the mimimas then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2013 03:50AM by Hugo Kodesh.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: October 14, 2013 11:36AM

In many cases the wide foot size 03 and 04 F frames will be wider that tip section of a blank. My question to you the rod builders is: does it matter, and if so why? When I use them I just wrap them on regardless of the tip size. It does get tricky on small tips because as the thread is wrapped on, the pressure on the foot's wings wants to push the guide up the blank and out of the wrap. However, once you get the right mix of thread tension and guide anchoring dialed in they go on pretty smooth. Sure there is a small void underneath the guide foot wing, but finish will wick right in there and actually increase the guide to blank bond. Once the finish levels around the wrap its hard to tell there is anything out of the ordinary.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 12:50PM

For me guide would be better without the W foot on size 3 and 4.
If I'm affraid about loose guide I'd do Forhan wrap to secure it.

But maybe other rodbuilder are not like me.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 01:23PM

IMHO
I would file or grind the foot At least the several that overlao the blank Then Forham wrap them all of them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 01:28PM

Maybe it doesn't matter, but I find it is easier to sand off the wing a bit to narrow the foot on the guide closest to the tip, if necessary just because it makes it easier to wrap. I like the shape of the wide feet on these and the fx micros.

Greg
Aptos, CA

Date: October 15, 2013 01:50AM

Thanks guys, I'll see what I have to do when all the parts arrive, hopefully it will be fine but if some sanding is required it shouldn't be much trouble .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster