I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Source for rubber/vinyl butt caps WO ribs?
Posted by: Robert Francesconi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2013 07:24PM

I'm down to my last one and I can't find them listed anywhere, I see only the ribbed ones.
The length was approx. 2"
The O.D. was 1-1/4"
They came in various I.D.'s - 3/4" 7/8" and 1"

Because of the heavy wall thickness, I was able to turn them down so that the outside diameter would be a good match for smaller diameter rear grips.
They were also perfect for the times when I needed extra large hossels/winding checks. I could use my lathe to cut them into 3/4" wide bands then tapper.

If anyone knows of a source please post. Every time I think I have a lifetime supply of something I live longer than I ever expected.

Thanx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Source for rubber/vinyl butt caps WO ribs?
Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: October 04, 2013 09:39PM

Living longer is a good thing, don't knock it! ;-)

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2013 12:03AM

Robert,
I buy them all of the time and do the same thing.
I put them onto a mandrel on a 3600 rpm and use various grades of sand paper to get the shape and size that I want.
When spinning, I just use a Kinzu knife to trim the end of the cap to the length that I want. I make sure that I am holding the knife angled just a bit toward the inside of the cap so that there is a slight negative edge on the cap for a very clean installation.

I just go to my favorite ACE hardware store, and buy rubber chair leg tips in the size and color that I want. The cost is about 50-75 cents each.

--------------------
P.s.
You are talking about only seeing ribbed ones. Where are the ribs on the ones that are found with ribs on them.

The caps that I get from the hardware store have slight ribs on the inside of the caps. However, I like the small ribs on the inside of the caps, since the ribs hold the glue and help to hold the finished cap on the end of the rod, after applying 5 minute epoxy to the inside of the cap.

Be safe
[www.homedepot.com]

By the way, if you are worried about the ribs on the bottom of the chair leg tip, sand them off. I start with 80 grit emery cloth - with the chair leg tip spinning at 3600 rpm. I use 80 grit paper with a sander backing held against the end of the cap to remove all of the ridges and or ribs.
Then, I use the sand paper with the backing board against the side to size the cap and shape. After getting close to the final dimension, I use finer sandpaper and finish up with 150 grit. I have found that there is little need to go any finer than 150 grit for shaping these rubber caps.

I have a series of cut pieces of aluminum rod that I use as a mandrel. If the rod is a touch small, I just use masking tape to build up the diameter of the rod so that the cap is a firm fit on the end of the rod for turning. I just then put the rod into the lathe chuck for shaping and cutting.

Good luck

[www.google.com]

Posted by: Robert Francesconi (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2013 03:21AM

Rodger, great minds really do think alike. We both use nearly identical methods.

- All the caps that I've recently received from various different rod component suppliers, have internal ribs that run longitudinally, i.e. tip/butt direction.
The lengths / heights of these caps are all about 2". The OD's are all the same, tapered 1 1/4" to 1 3/8". These are available in three or four various ID's between 3/4" to a bit over 1" or so. But they won't work for our application because the wall thicknesses are all the same, too thin at about 0.10" - you'll just sand right through that. The manufacturer achieves different ID's by changing the height of the internal, longitudinal ribs. It doesn't seem to matter who the supplier is, all the caps look like they come out of the same factory.

The old caps had OD's of 1 1/4" . Three or four different ID's were achieved by varying the wall thicknesses from 0.250" to 0.125" or so. The walls were solid with no ribs present, plenty of stock to turn down to 1" OD in some cases if need be.

Thanks for the tip, Rodger. I'll look into those chair leg caps this week. I've all but given up on rod butt caps, it looks like the ones I need have gone extinct.
"For want of a nail the horse went unshod..."

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: October 05, 2013 04:09AM

G'Day Robert I use exactly the same as Roger .The only difference is that I use the bottom of the cap is to put the customers initials in using a clear 5 min epoxy adhesive & stick on letters & then cover with another coat of the adhesive .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster