I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minima 3&4 guides
Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-236-65.myvzw.com)
Date: October 04, 2013 02:20PM

Hi all!
I build mostly 15-30lb, 20-40lb and 20-50lb saltwater rods. I had dismissed the pac bay minima guides as a "freshwater" thing. However recently I bought some to try on one of my projects where I will be using a 20-50lb Muskie blank to throw live bait for stripers with 25lb test mono. In this case I am concerned with the strength of the frame of the guide. Also I will be building a new blackfish rod and I will be using braid. Here I am concerned with the ring of the guide. Chrome right? Hmm... I have read several old threads about the 3 and 4 series guides but could never get a conclusive answer if I can use these for my applications. Hoping some more time has passed and the jury will be in on if these guides hold up in moderate saltwater fishing....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minima 3&4 guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2013 02:52PM

I'd look at the new Minima Ti frame guides if I was going saltwater. A little stronger and lighter. I really can't give you an upper limit as to their use as nothing I've done with them has been heavier than medium duty striper rods, although they have held up fine for that. In the double foot models, I suspect they'll handle more than you might think.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: October 04, 2013 03:57PM

My personal thoughts...I'd use the Minimas where prime importance was the lightest possible guide combined with the biggest possible opening. It doesn't sound like either is a priority for you.

You might look at REC recoils for the muskie blank. Should be light, close to impossible to break, and very corrosion resistant.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2013 04:32PM

The Tich pac buy guides will work very well for your application.

Be safe

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 04, 2013 06:41PM

Hi,

Why do I use Minima 4 spin and casting guides? Because the rings can not fall out or be broken. Saves me and my customers the cost and time of having guides replaced. They work! I use them on rods rated to 40# class line.

Yes I do use braid and no damage to the rings.

The guides may sing when reeling in a heavy weight/fish.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 05, 2013 12:05AM

By the way, as a general rule - do NOT use minima 3 guides.

Minima 3 guides are single swaged, but minima 4 guides are double swaged.

The result is that minima 4 - present a smooth face to both sides of the guide. Now and then with the single swaged minima 3 guides, you might find a sharp spot on the side of the guide that is not swaged.

Be safe

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 05, 2013 06:59AM

In Minima 4 take à look at the swagged insert, sometime you need to throw one guide in the trash bin, but it's my go to guides.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-236-98.myvzw.com)
Date: October 07, 2013 12:01PM

Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm gonna give these a shot!

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: October 07, 2013 04:56PM

This question about Minima seems to come up about every six months or so and I would like to clarify the actual difference between the two methods of construction. To begin with, all Minima rings are double swaged and all of them start out the same way, with one side being swaged and the other unswaged, ready for insertion into the guide frame. After that:

Minima 3 guides have the different frame and ring finishes applied, then the rings are inserted and the second side is swaged. The second swage on the Minima 3 is not as pronounced as the first because it takes place after the finish is applied. A maximum swage on a finished ring can cause damage to the finish.

Minima 4 guides have the ring inserted and the second side swaged before the frame and ring receive the same finish in one process allowing for maximum swaging on the second side of the ring because there is no finish applied at the time of swaging.

We don't actually use the designation 3 or 4 any longer in our Minima info. The 3 vs. 4 implies that the 4 is a newer or improved version like it was software, when in reality, having separate ring and frame colors just requires a different method construction. If you suspect that a Minima ring doesn't have enough swage on one side of the ring, simply hold a straight edge (like a ball point pen or a paper clip) on the ring to get a visually accurate idea of the swaging amount on the side in question.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 07, 2013 05:42PM

Hi Geoff,

Explanations like yours are always appreciated and make us better informed builders.

Thank you.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 08, 2013 01:38AM

That is a dame shame

If the 4's are better then the 3's

You should
I keep reading the 3's -- cut line

Make them ALL like the 4's And you will sell more

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.olypen.com)
Date: October 10, 2013 11:32AM

To all valued customers and fellow rod builders,
At this time we have been able to confirm only one instance of any Minima ring cutting line and the problem was not a result of the amount swaging. It was caused by a finishing/tumbling process flaw. I personally use Minima 3 guides on a couple of salmon/steelhead plug rods. Larger plugs (crank baits) cause the rod to undulate so much that the line in the top third of the rod sea saws back and forth across the guide rings thousands of times a day. I have experienced no issues in 3 years with these BF3XG Minima guides.

That being said, we encourage all users of our product to return any items they feel are defective for warranty replacement. This is critical not just from a customer service standpoint. Receiving warranty items lets us evaluate issues and take the necessary actions to maintain quality. If we don't get product back for evaluation, issues aren't confirmed issues, they are hearsay. Specific warranty info can be found at the following link: [www.fishpacbay.com]

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Posted by: Larry Green (---.158.55.139.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 12:13PM

I really like seeing your feedback Geoff.

I just ordered supplies for two builds using both Minima seats and guides.

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster