I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need to plug sections of a rod blank
Posted by: jeff corey (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2013 11:23AM

Gentlemen:

Am kind of new at rod building and came across a blank that hasn't been plugged. Am curious as to whether or not the really makes a difference. I've read a few former posts on how to plug but not much regarding the importance of doing it.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need to plug sections of a rod blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 04, 2013 11:36AM

It keeps the end of the blank from going too far oval which in unsupported fashion can result in cracking or checking of the end.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2013 04:35PM

Jeff,
I plug all of the ends of two piece blanks.

I take a piece of solid material Typically fiberglass or graphite.

I will cut off about a 3 inch section and chuck it into my drill.

Then,, I spin up the blank in the drill and hold it against the spinning belt sander that is on my bench.

I check the diameter from time to time, until the sanded down piece of material is a nice fit into the end of the blank.

Remember there is a larger section of material in the drill chuck.
I take the material out of the chuck, coat it with 5 minute epoxy and glue it into the open ended blank.
After the glue has cured, I will take my abrasive cut off wheel and chop the end of the filler - flush with the end of the blank.

The total time to do this job takes 2 or 3 minutes.

Good luck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 04, 2013 04:38PM

Mix up some rod bond or 5 min
Push it into the hole
Wipe off the end with a paper towel
Put a strip of tape over the end and stand it on that end to dry

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chris Tulk (---.dsl.bell.ca)
Date: October 05, 2013 07:26PM

Hi All,

Is this really needed? I to am new and only built a couple rods but did not fill them. Is this going to cause me issues?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 05, 2013 08:23PM

Like Tom K said It makes the end that takes a lot of pressur to help stop it from turning to an oval and possible splitting

Just a GOOD thing to do And does not take a long time to make the blank a little stronger
One LESS thing to worry about

Don't know for sure but I would think it would give the rod a bit more power for casting

Also why most recamend putting a thread wrap on the female Helps to keep it from oveling and splitting

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 08:31PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (167.206.154.---)
Date: October 05, 2013 10:56PM

If the ferrule fit is good and the blank is well built there is little risk of the male ferrule ovaling. The female ferrule will prevent this from happening. I like to keep it filled to keep dirt and grit from entering. If I lose the factory plug i squeeze some GOOP or 6000 into the tip of the male ferrule for approximately an inch. Stand it on male ferrule end on some plastic wrap and wait for it to cure.
Herb

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 06, 2013 01:14PM

I just glue in a little piece of "O" ring material, that fits, and cut it flush when dry. That's what the Mfg. uses,, rubber. I figure their R&D trumps anything I know about it.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 08, 2013 11:48AM

J.B.
That is a good idea. So you get a large diameter "O" ring that approximates the i.o. of the male ferrule? The large diameter would minimize the curve of the "O" ring. Do you slip it in from the female side - or - "force" it in from the male side?
that would cut down the curing time of the "Goop" I use.
Herb

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: October 10, 2013 10:34AM

Herb; You can buy almost any diameter of "O" ring material in straight pieces for making your own "O" rings. I think we are talking about plugging the end of the male section here. Some mfg's leave it open, others plug it with a piece of rubber. You can buy it in any length and diameter measured in 0.000 of an inch.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 20, 2013 12:11PM

J.B,.
just Googled it - you are correct.
Thanks
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster