I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

ProWrap "tiger" thread
Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: October 03, 2013 10:31AM

I'd like to use the black/white tiger thread to wrap a striper rod -- charcoal blank, titan guides -- to keep with an overall striper theme. I noticed that MudHole recommends using color preserver with this thread. I don't like using color preserver, so my question is -- Has anyone used this thread without CP and if so, how much does the white portion of the thread lose its "whiteness" to the blank underneath?

Thanks.

Bilgee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ProWrap "tiger" thread
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 03, 2013 10:44AM

If it's regular nylon, it'll lose a lot. The darker the underlying blank, the more transparent the thread will become.

Posted by: thad peach (129.41.205.---)
Date: October 03, 2013 11:55AM

You can use white paint under the wrap if it is a closed wrap that will help...

Thad
Dutchman's Creek Tackle

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2013 03:31PM

I've used it with CP. It preserves the white nicely and really doesn't seem to affect the black one way or another. Just out of curiosity, what do you have against using the CP? I know a lot of builders don't like to use it.

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 04, 2013 04:44PM

Thread HOLDS the guides on the blank

Any finish only protects the threads from the outside eliments

And your thread may still fade and finish yellow

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: October 08, 2013 11:37AM

Bill
What did that answer have to do with the OP'S question? Why do you post answers that mean nothing?

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 08, 2013 11:45AM

because builders have posted here that they have used ONLY CP on threads and the guides held very well
So one should not really worry about using CP

Also if using regular thread and want to keep the color of it ( regular looks nicer then NCP thread ) you will need CP

Is that good Rolly

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John E Powell (168.169.226.---)
Date: October 08, 2013 01:21PM

Bill,

The OP's question was about the need for CP with tiger wraps. Specifically, he wants to know if anyone has had experience with white thread over a charcoal blank in a tiger wrap without using color preserver, and if so, how much will the charcoal blank color show through the white non-CP'd thread.

I believe Rolly was questioning the portion of your response about thread being used to hold guides to the blank, not the portion of your answer that dealt with the use of CP and regular thread.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: October 08, 2013 02:53PM

Thanks John.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Bob Veasey (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2013 12:15PM

Just finished a casting rod with the same thread and rod color. I did a few test wraps on a scrap piece of blank and did one with CP, one without CP and one just plain thread to compare the color loss. Without CP the white part of the thread turned almost charcoal to light black. With the CP the thread remained almost the same as bare thread with very little if any color loss. After applying my finish they turned out great. I don't understand why some don't like CP. To me it's no big deal to use to get the result you want......bob v

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster