I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MH
Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 27, 2013 11:51AM

Did you see what I just saw about MH?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MH
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (132.3.57.---)
Date: September 27, 2013 12:06PM

Since they are both board sponsors...

[www.mudhole.com]

[www.mudhole.com]

Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 27, 2013 12:31PM

Will mudhole now carry everyhing merrick did .I was shocked when I got the email

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 27, 2013 02:44PM

Bucky Allen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Will mudhole now carry everyhing merrick did .I
> was shocked when I got the email

Email said 'business assets'.
I would think it would be up to the individual manufacturers if they would want to continue supplying to the new owners.
There are a lot of companies that are represented in both catalogs.

Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2013 04:57AM

Easily 75% of my yearly budget goes to Mudhole so I am not anti-mudhole tackle by any means...but when a market contracts the consumer usually comes out on the losing end. The people who run Mudhole deserve all the credit they can get for embracing the internet, creating the most user friendly website for consumers and pushing rod building innovation to drive sales and attract new builders. I wish the best for both parties but I fear that in the end less choice for us the consumer will be a losing game...in both choice of customer service and price.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 28, 2013 04:38PM

Many of us inside the industry recognize that there is such a thing as there being too many dealers. Currently the rod building component supply business is terribly over saturated with product and dealers. While I regret another of the old time suppliers such as Merrick disappearing into history, the fact is that this sale will ultimately be a good thing for the rod building industry and stands to strengthen everyone.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 28, 2013 05:07PM

Only as long as the prices that merick gives the builders stays about the same ????

It is for the builders I worry about As I am one
The past at least 10 customers i have gotten calls or emails from I never here from

PARTS PRICES ARE TOOOOO HIGH
When one can buy a complete rod for the same price as a BLANK and then we builders have to add the rest of the componients it costs twice as much as a store bought or off the shelf rod

Who makes the money

The Suppliers !!!!

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2013 06:53PM

Bill, what do you suppose will happen if the suppliers do not make money?

Date: September 28, 2013 06:59PM

No one makes much money. That's the industry problem - with so many dealers and so many trying to keep their heads above water, margins are next to nothing for most. It's a vicious circle - a dealer cuts prices to the bone so they can pay the rent this month. Their competitors then have to do the same. With margins at the bone, you have to go for quantity, which you can't do because there are so many dealers in the game. The pie has been cut into so many slices that almost nobody can make any money, no matter how much they sell.

If you think the suppliers are making a fortune, get in the business. Mark my words - in less than 90 days you'll be offering sales and discounts so you can pay the light bill next month. And while that may generate some temporary cash flow, it doesn't generate profit.

You shouldn't compare prices of quality rod building items to commercially made rods. If you're competing with commercially made rods you need to find a different clientele. Custom builders have no need to compete on price.

Posted by: Matt Dotts (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 28, 2013 07:27PM

Tom,

you make an excellent argument for those "inside the industry" . Maybe not everyone else.

Kudo's to Mudhole for their success, it's what we all strive for.

Date: September 28, 2013 07:34PM

Then why does it cost say for a 9' fly rod so much and if I go to build the same rod and look for the blanlk

THE BLANK will cost as much as the rod

And then companies like T and T when you go to clean the blank -- the finish comes off --
And they charge HOW MUCH FOR THERE BLANKS ?????
Fot the money they charge the finish should NOT COME OFF with simple drug store rubbing alcole ???

If I can buy 500 blanks I am sure I can get them at a @#$%& of a discount

Please
You are sounding like orur president and his Helth Care That No One Likes !!!!

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 28, 2013 08:00PM

An unhealthy industry is not healthy for the craft in the long haul.

Lower prices are often only a temporary thing, followed by exactly the opposite, in spades.

Date: September 28, 2013 08:13PM

That makes no sense

heathy for WHO

So I should GIVE my work away Because parts cost so much and I can not make anything on Labor

I picked up a Seeker blank put the handle on And after taking the tape off when putting the foregrip on just to make sure there was no glue on the blank I washed it LIGHTLY with Drug stor Alcohol

I looked at the paper towel and there was RED on it Paint was hard to sand to prep for gluing -- But comes off with alcohol ?????

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2013 08:20PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 28, 2013 08:38PM

Coatings are not put on blanks to protect from Alcohol or any other solvent! They are there for appearance. Do you think rod manufactureres apply alchol to their blanks, of course not, why would they, and why do you?

If you are trying to compete with a company that makes and sells thousands of rods, you going for the wrong market!

I build fly rods, and I make them special for each client (many repeaters), I use top quality components, turn custom grips and I charge top dollar. I don't try to compete with Cabelas!

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.ldcz1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 29, 2013 03:25AM

Alcohol will take the gloss off commercially applied polyester powdercoat, it's a much underestimated solvent and best not apply to any painted surface except two pac, these days I use window cleaner and elbow grease.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: September 29, 2013 11:35AM

Not certain what the paint coming off of a blank , or the health care problems in the USA has to do with Mudhole buying out Merrick but more power to Mudhole. I am certain that merrick wasn't forced into selling out but had made a decission based on their personal needs and wants. This will just add more products to Mudholes large line up and make it easier for me.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: john backos (---.static.optonline.net)
Date: September 30, 2013 08:24AM

Charles Clayton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Alcohol will take the gloss off commercially
> applied polyester powdercoat, it's a much
> underestimated solvent and best not apply to any
> painted surface except two pac, these days I use
> window cleaner and elbow grease.

I stopped using any type of chemical. BAsically, what I do now is lightly rub th eblank with blue (low abrasion) scotchbrite. Then I simply wipe it off with a damp cloth and let it air dry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster