I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

water staining in my epoxy
Posted by: stan parkin (---.gate.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: September 25, 2013 09:13AM

hi been having a bit bother with my current build at the moment with the flexcoat epoxy uder close inspection instead of being clear looks like a marbeling or water effectany help would be appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: water staining in my epoxy
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2013 09:40AM

Place the rod in a very warm area, even in direct sunlight and allow it to remain there for a couple days. If you have a case of amine blush, that will usually take care of it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2013 11:37AM

Stan,
Look again.
Are you sure that you are not seeing a bunch of tiny tiny bubbles that give the epoxy the non clear look.
Bubbles are often mistaken for the look you may be seeing.

Be safe

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: September 25, 2013 01:09PM

Hi Stan,

You can usually see this prior to putting finish on the rod. Take your cup or foil and put the finish under a lamp. Lean it so you can see the glare of the light coming off the finish. It should be apparent if its there when you do this.

I've learned some steps that counter this but dont want to get into a who's finish prep is better debate today. ;)

Date: September 25, 2013 04:45PM

thanks for your replies done abit research and you are dead right amine blush had no bother a few weeks ago but now autum/winter is upon us now and the humidity is high that seems to be the problem going to get a portable electric heater to warm the air which will not produce any carbon dioxide like a gas/oil heater would any wait just a little to put the epoxy on thus reducing the chances of blush although i will have a shorter window of pot life if i,ve read my research right also i have a dehumidifier to extract the moister out of the air once again thanks for your help regards stan

Date: September 25, 2013 05:06PM

It's not just humidity - it's a combination of humidity and CO2. Fortunately it won't affect the set or cure of the epoxy, just the appearance via the blush.

Date: September 25, 2013 05:42PM

thanks tom what would you do in my situation?

Date: September 25, 2013 06:16PM

Run the heat up a little if you think things are a bit cool. I'd want the temp to be at least 68F in the room where I was finishing.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: September 25, 2013 06:25PM

Unless your building room is vacuum sealed a de-humidifier may not be enough to change the environment. I've got one for sale.

Posted by: Chester Kiekhafer (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 26, 2013 07:51AM

I had trouble this past Spring and it drove me crazy. I sort of enclosed my work bench with plastic and added two 500 watt halogen lights for the heat and let it cure. No problem after that. I think the next time I will let it cure to the point were I can move the rod into that bathroom and then turn on my portable heater that I use it there in the winter. I will be easier to heat and cheaper.

Chester

May your line be tight and your beverages be cold!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster