I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rod Guides Suggestions for a 9FT. 8 Wt.
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 25, 2013 07:40PM

REC nickel-titanium alloy guides are absolutely 100% corrosion free and dang near indestructible, but they are flexible - especially the "light" snake guides. This can cause a problem with a snake guide foot slipping out from under its thread wrapping when the guide flexes from a strong blow or shove. The guide will return to its original shape undamaged, but the loose foot can not be slipped back under its wrappings and stay there. If you use REC recoil snake guides I suggest you put a couple of Forhan wraps on both legs of every snake guide before you epoxy your wraps. You can look up how to apply the Forhan wrap on this website.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 25, 2013 07:40PM

REC nickel-titanium alloy guides are absolutely 100% corrosion free and dang near indestructible, but they are flexible - especially the "light" snake guides. This can cause a problem with a snake guide foot slipping out from under its thread wrapping when the guide flexes from a strong blow or shove. The guide will return to its original shape undamaged, but the loose foot can not be slipped back under its wrappings and stay there. If you use REC recoil snake guides I suggest you put a couple of Forhan wraps on both legs of every snake guide before you epoxy your wraps. You can look up how to apply the Forhan wrap on this website.

Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2013 07:55PM

Drew Pollock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have built a bunch of 8wt 9 foot rods. Mostly
> for me and friends fishing coho salmon in Alaska.
>
> I have a strong preference for snake type guides.
> The minimas and even the single foot ceramics tend
> to hang up on brush and get bent. Ditto the Fuji
> titanium single foot guides. Double foot snake
> guides on the other hand are very robust and hard
> to damage, plus they don't tend to hang on brush
> or tree branches.
>
> If you fish in perfect conditions, the ceramic fly
> guides do make a nice rod, that is especially nice
> with a big fish in play.
>
> For real world conditions, though, a double foot
> snake is almost impossible to damage, and of the
> available guides, the REC titaniums are my
> favorites.
>
> If I were building this rod, it would have 2
> strippers-a 16 and a 12 Fuji Titanium Alconite,
> and 9 REC #3 double foot snake guides.
>
> Good luck
>
> Drew

Hi DrewYou would use 11 guides and a tip top instead of 10 guides and a tip top?
Bruce

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: September 27, 2013 09:47AM

Bruce Tomaselli Wrote:

> Hi DrewYou would use 11 guides and a tip top
> instead of 10 guides and a tip top?
> Bruce

Yep-I like 11 on a 9 foot 8wt. I know it isn't standard, but the line flows better and doesn't sag between guides. I'm almost always fishing with a 24 foot sink tip, and 11 guides vs 10 just works better for me. On a 9ft 5wt, I'd use the more standard 10 guides.

Drew

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster