I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide sizing for 4'6" ultralight
Posted by: Hugo Kodesh (---.range86-158.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 23, 2013 01:31AM

Hey everyone, this is my first post on here and I'm new to rod building so be prepared for a lot of questions from me! I'm going to build a 4'6" ultralight rod for stream trout on a St Croix 3S46ULF blank, I've never built a rod before (although I have done some minor repairs and modifications) but I'll be doing a cheaper build to practice before I start on this one. The one thing that is puzzling me is the guide sizing, at the moment I'm thinking of having this sizing:

TATSG 16
TATSG 10
TATSG 8
TLSG 5.5
TLSG 4.5
TLSG 4.5
tip-top (TFST 4.5)

Is this ok for such a short light rod? Should I be changing the size 8 TATSG to a TLSG? Should the butt guide be a TATSG 20 instead of a 16? What other changes? I'm trying to keep the rod as lightweight and responsive as I can, casting distance isn't too much of an issue but accuracy will be very important.

Many thanks in advance,

Hugo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide sizing for 4'6" ultralight
Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.hfc.dyn.abo.bbox.fr)
Date: September 23, 2013 01:49AM

for all rods, and in particular for very light rods, any unecessary weight on the upper 1/3 is a big mistake, at least imho.
for your project, I think 16/8/4/4/4/4 is what you want in order to retain as much as possible of the bare blank speed and to maximize sensitivity.
it's not really a matter of distance, but a matter of well tuned instrument.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.216.---)
Date: September 23, 2013 07:19AM

Keeping what Laurent said in mind, theoretically, the rod doesn't set the guide sizes, the reel and line/knots do. With an ultralight I expect you are going to use a small reel with light line, so you can cheat down on size on the reduction guides. I would check out the guide placment software on the Fuji site and see what you come up with there. But with the stated expectations of mine about reel and line, I think Laurent's lineup will work fine. But keep in mind, the 4's probably will not pass knots well (again, probably not an issue for ultralight).

Are you sure you want a rod that short? My experience with short ultralights has not been good.

Date: September 23, 2013 07:59AM

hi Michael.
I don't think there will be any trouble with the knots on the kind of line you expect on an UL rig. Plus, on these very delicate things, I wouldn't recommend the use of leaders. spool your reel with 2 pounds test, and directly put a 00 mepps at the end, and you're good to go explore small streams under heavy cover.
4-5 feet UL are a standard in France for that kind of sport. we call them foils.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Date: September 23, 2013 11:56AM

Thanks very much for the input guys, I think I'll go with the layout Laurent has advised (I just need to source a size 4 titanium tip-top, can anyone recommend a source?)

Michael, I do have plenty of ultralights in lengths from about 6'8" upwards, but most of the streams I fish are very narrow and overgrown, which makes casting a longer rod very difficult, it probably wont be my main rod but I'm sure it will come in handy at some point.

Thanks again,

Hugo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 12:12PM by Hugo Kodesh.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 23, 2013 01:58PM

A 16, 8 and 4's as runners, set up to fit your reel, with a very light reel seat that perhaps you can even cut shorter to accommodate your reel foot...... will be unbelievably sweet, unique and custom. Wrap it in your favorite two color theme, one of those colors simply being short metallic trims wraps. Will be beautiful!

Date: September 23, 2013 02:18PM

That's what I'm hoping! I plan to use a Fuji SK2 seat and perhaps trim the tube to cut down on unnecessary weight.

Date: September 23, 2013 02:22PM

hidden behind a rock, with a clear pool just a couple of yard away... take a grasshopper, put it on a simple hook. your rig is perfectly at ease with throwing 1 gram. the grasshopper falls right along the deep side of the pool, immediately a trout darts and takes it. the fight is on, and the fish has a chance...
well, I certainly hope you'll experience this kind of pleasure with this rod.
cheers!

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Hugo Kodesh (---.range86-138.btcentralplus.com)
Date: September 24, 2013 01:05PM

That gives me shivers just thinking about it!

One other question, can I use a 4.5 tip-top with size 4 running guides? what effect will this have on performance? Or should I match the tip with 4.5 runners instead?

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.housing.res.kent.edu)
Date: September 24, 2013 02:13PM

Hugo,

The slightly larger tip top won't have an impact. I usually find that due to the angle of many tip tops, a slightly large tip top matches the line path of the running guides a bit better. You will be just fine either way. And with only a half mm difference in diameter, few will notice the difference without looking closely.

Joe

Date: September 24, 2013 02:27PM

I agree with Joe. It's often even better.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Date: September 24, 2013 02:31PM

Thanks Joe, I'll go with the 4s then.

Hugo.

Date: September 24, 2013 02:31PM

Thanks Joe, I'll go with the 4s then.

Hugo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster