I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Electric reamer
Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-236-102.myvzw.com)
Date: September 20, 2013 01:23PM

Hi all! I read a prior post about about having a machine shop make reamers that will chuck into a drill. Has anyone done this? I build larger saltwater rods and the grips come with a 1/4 inch id hole. It takes a long time to move all the cork out to a id of 3/4 to 15/16 of an inch. Nobody got time for that! Does anyone know of tapered reamers that are available commercially? My local machine shop won't make reamers they say.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Electric reamer
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 20, 2013 01:59PM

Dream Reamer...don't know how I lived without one.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-236-102.myvzw.com)
Date: September 20, 2013 02:23PM

Yeah I use those now and their ok... I am looking for an all metal type that you don't have to re-glue that sand paper tape which is a pain.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2013 02:50PM

Mike,
Use a round file to ream each end to the size of the blank.
Then, take an aircraft drill to drill out the rest of the cork in the grip.

Quick and easy.

Be safe

Posted by: Skipp Hughes (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2013 07:28PM

How do the Dream Reamers compare to the Extreme Reamer from Mudhole? I have had 2 of them come apart on me I use them on my Lathe at about 500 RPM's

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 20, 2013 08:14PM

Neither of those reamers are mean't to be used at that fast of RPM!

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 21, 2013 12:05AM

G'day Mike

I share your pain with having to remove so much material.But since i started to make my own grips from cork rings,burl and birch i have drilled a 10mm
hole and used a 10mm arbour life has been so much better.I have found using the reamer in the smaller dia that it has a chance to wander.But with the
larger dia the reamer is already half way down the inside of the grip.Maybe looking at making your own grips could be the answer so you can customize
them to suit yourself.

cheers....Ray

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 12:20AM

I first cut the grip ID closer to the blank diameter with my Flexcoat pilot drill bits and than ream. I think it stays centered better and you get where you need to be much faster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2013 12:23AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: chip burdick (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2013 07:01AM

machine shop supply places should have tapered reamers. MSC, McMaster Carr,etc. I don't know how they work on cork but should be able to hog it out and get you close to use the dream reamer.Go slow.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 11:43AM

Yeah I called MSC and described what I wanted and they have them. For one from .862 to1 would be 360.40! Oh and at that degree of taper I would need like 6 of them to get from 1/4 to 1 inch. Hmm maybe there is something else

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2013 01:38PM

How about this?

[www.mudhole.com]

Bore out to approximate ID, and a final ream to fit.

Joe

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 02:39PM

Mike, you can buy EVA in different bore diameters from 1/4" to 3/4". That is what I do. Between that, and how much it stretchs, I rarely have to ream EVA grips.

The best power reamer I saw was owned by a local builder. It looked to be a tapered steel mandrel wrapped with a 60 grit strip scrounged from a bench type belt sander. I would think you could buy a 1" steel shaft (for fan drive packages) cheap and taper it on a metal lathe at a reasonable price. Then glue your sandpaper strips on it. A wood lathe with a drill chuck would do.

You don't need, or want, real high RPM's. Move the EVA up and down a lot to get rid of the dust and don't push it so hard that the EVA gets warm/gummy. Even with the right stuff it is a slow messy task so I would always buy in a bore to match the blank.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 21, 2013 03:11PM

Thats my quest also,to find a rasp, conical in shape, 18 to 24" long with a final diameter of 1".

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-236-70.myvzw.com)
Date: September 23, 2013 08:30AM

Hey all. Thanks for the input. I am not really concerned with eva. As stated above I buy it close to the OD of the blank and push it down. Cork is the problem.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: September 23, 2013 11:50AM

My .02: Whichever way you go with a reamer, try running the grit/steel in reverse ! If you have the power in forward, the reamer may just have the tendency to advance forward, at such a rate, that it totally jams in the project, becoming really stuck.

This will happen if you are reaming too much dunnage at one time. Not nice. I attempted to ream about 1/8" (1/16 inch each side of radius) and soon learned that was not a good thing.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-174-236-70.myvzw.com)
Date: September 23, 2013 12:00PM

Thanks again. Yeah may dream reamers get stuck a lot I will try running them in reverse.
I looked up the reverse flex coat drill bits. I think this will work. If not i looked at some large auger bits for woodworking which may work also. This still doesn't address the taper but might be better then what I'm currently doing.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 23, 2013 02:02PM

Very much agree with Spencer. Get very close with your initial pilot of the grip!!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster