I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread
Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: September 20, 2013 12:30AM

As I am just starting to build rods I got some old ones to practice wrapping on and just used sewing thread for practice.
The thing is they look really good!Is there any reason that I should buy special thread and are there any downfalls to using normal sewing grade thread?
Thanks in advance Andi

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 20, 2013 01:15AM

Hi Andi,
I use madeira embroidery thread for most of my builds and it's fine. Due to the fact that most sewing or embroidery thread contains silicon to assist with travel through the machines you have to use cp or the silicon will cause fish eyes in the finish. Some sewing thread is not very strong and it is advisable to do a strength test before use. Anything over 0.8kg, 11/2lbs, would be ok. The madeira is about 1.1kg which is very similar to rodbuilding thread. Be sure you don't use rayon thread as it gets a lot of fuzzies and doesn't look great. Use the polyester thread such as madeira, brother mettler etc. Most companies make both so ensure you get the polyester. You will find that sewing thread has a huge colour range unlike some of the rodbuilding threads and is usually considerably cheaper. Rodbuilding thread is fine and designed for use in this purpose but a lot of builders use sewing and embroidery thread without any issues. Some builders don't like using cp on guide wraps but I have done a fair bit of testing as well as using cp on all my builds and it has never caused an issue for me.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 20, 2013 01:32AM

The only thing special about rodbuilding thread is that its lubricant free nylon thread.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: andi robb (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: September 20, 2013 03:59AM

Thanks for the advice guys as a newbee to this I really appreciate it
Andi

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 20, 2013 10:35AM

Thread is cheap and you don't use that much of it on a build. I don't see any reason not to use rod building thead unless you are looking for a specific color that is not available.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 20, 2013 05:00PM

Most U.S. sewing thread,is "mercerized" cotton and very thin and weak, IMO not at all suitable for rod wrapping. As stated above, the amount of thread used per rod is small, again IMO not worth taking the risk by skimping. Rod wrappeing nylon threads have stood the test!

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.hfc.dyn.abo.bbox.fr)
Date: September 21, 2013 03:28PM

I have had excellent results with Mettler's Polysheen thread, and it has a very impressive color range.
Obviously, some applications require color preserver, but others don't. For instance, Rust (ref. 1342) without CP will give you a close match to a Tiger Eye finish.
A very pleasant thread to work with.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster